The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Corydoras habrosus look like they have no barbels they are in a very clean tank with eco complete as a substrate does this ruin there barbels? might have to put them in another tank, of course the hard part is catching them.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Your Corydoras

My Corydoras habrosus look like they have no barbels they are in a very clean tank with eco complete as a substrate does this ruin there barbels? might have to put them in another tank, of course the hard part is catching them.
Hello cai...

Any substrate, decoration, rocks, etc. that's the least bit abrasive can potentially damage the Corys' barbels. Eco-complete doesn't have uniform pieces and some appear rough. I've never used it.

I've always used standard, "pea-sized" aquarium gravel in my Cory tanks. The gravel is polished, with no rough areas.

If your Corys' barbels are stunted or missing, then a change in substrate might be needed. The barbels can regrow, though. It typically takes two to three months.

B

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
+1 I agree, never used Eco complete before though, always been a Gravel and dirt guy myself

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Did they come without barbels? I've heard opposing sides on how substrate can damage barbels. So it may or may not be that.

·
Registered
554 Posts
What type of filtration does your tank use?

I have eco-complete & even with trumpet snails I still developed little toxic gas pockets.

Usually the disappearing barbels are related to bacteria/DOC's on the bottom of the tank.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have a bunch of different loaches on Eco-complete for years and their barbels are fine.

I would have to agree with MSG's post about bacteria/DOC's being the possible reason.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
If you don't want to change gravel, you could put a sand cap over the gravel. That's what I did in my Cory sterbai tank and they love it. Kind of tough to see in the pic, sorry

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did they come without barbels? I've heard opposing sides on how substrate can damage barbels. So it may or may not be that.
Thank you for all the responses, I'm not sure to be totally honest, I think they did, I have 5 other larger cory's and they are fine.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Hello cai...

Any substrate, decoration, rocks, etc. that's the least bit abrasive can potentially damage the Corys' barbels. Eco-complete doesn't have uniform pieces and some appear rough. I've never used it.

I've always used standard, "pea-sized" aquarium gravel in my Cory tanks. The gravel is polished, with no rough areas.

If your Corys' barbels are stunted or missing, then a change in substrate might be needed. The barbels can regrow, though. It typically takes two to three months.

B
Hey B,

I have heard different things about eco complete some say it is fine, would like to hear from people that do have eco complete.

Don't have to change substrate, I can just put them in another tank for now. Just not sure if it is the substrate or not since my other cory's are fine they are bigger though so maybe that has something to do with it.

Do you know if there is a problem with smaller cory's but not the larger ones when using eco complete?

Oh and B you can call me John

Caique my user name is a gorgeous parrot I used to have.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a bunch of different loaches on Eco-complete for years and their barbels are fine.

I would have to agree with MSG's post about bacteria/DOC's being the possible reason.

I have had loaches on eco complete with no problems too.

I am a water change nut, so not sure there is a problem there, I do 20 gallon changes a week in a 75, fully planted tank with a fx5.

How would I know if there is some type of bacteria in the substrate? Keep in mind not sure if they had no barbels when I put them in there but I'm thinking they were fine, just was looking at them the other day and thought wow how come there face is so round, also keep in mind others in the tank have no problems.

John

·
Registered
293 Posts
How long ago did you get the cories? Maybe the one has a compromised immune system?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have had cories with ecco complete for several months now. They haven't had any problems that I've seen (and I'm obsessed with watching my fish). They plow through it no problem. They probably do prefer sand because it's soft.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Eco-complete is fine with cories and loaches in my experience. Have you tried doing a more thorough surface cleaning of the substrate? Mulm that has built up on the surface of the substrate can harbor harmful levels bacteria.

·
Premium Member
5,485 Posts
I have a rough substrate for mine.. I think it has more to do with frequent water changes.
What if you're using a dosing system such as PPS-Pro which doesn't really require you due to water changes. At the end of the day the water is still purified. Given that the substrate would be Floramax

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
I have had loaches on eco complete with no problems too.

I am a water change nut, so not sure there is a problem there, I do 20 gallon changes a week in a 75, fully planted tank with a fx5.

How would I know if there is some type of bacteria in the substrate? Keep in mind not sure if they had no barbels when I put them in there but I'm thinking they were fine, just was looking at them the other day and thought wow how come there face is so round, also keep in mind others in the tank have no problems.

John
Here's my tank
72g
Eco complete
Fx5
High light
Pressurized c02
Honestly not sure if in following a specific dosing method but I dose what's needed with dry ferts
30% wc weekly

I have 3 bronze cories they all have barbells

·
Registered
844 Posts
i notice this problem when you can't really vac into the gravel base sand on the bottom...'

i seen 1 or 2 of my pass cory that have half worn out barbel...

I use sand for long time and never seen any of my corys barbel missing..

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
Seachem flourite mixed with river pebbles, pea gravel and other junk
Sterbai, Albino, Peppered, Julii and muts
Most have been in the same tank for ~10 years
Most are now blind
All barbells are intact

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
When you do the water changes use a gravel vac and lightly move the substrate where it is exposed, and move the plants enough to dislodge whatever might be stuck in the lower areas. Remove whatever organic matter you can from the tank.
Clean the filter more often, as this is another big reservoir for decomposing gunk.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts