The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By the way, anyone who can honestly claim their experience matches this thread title doesn't have an aquarium IMHO.

Here's the deal- from what I read here about algae (which is volumes), the most experienced folks seem to be saying that the primary cause is inconsistent CO2 levels. So, exactly what is considered consistent??? my regulator and diffuser deliver a very consistent amount of the gas to the water, but the CO2 system comes on 1/2 hr. before the lights do and goes off 1/2 hour before the lights do. So is this consistent??? I absolutely despise algae, and I know that small amounts of it are unavoidable, but I would like to give my newly set up tank every opportunity to avoid a plague of it if possible. My photoperiod is 8 1/2 hrs./day. What say you, o learned ones?

·
Registered
349 Posts
well I'm no expert but I also have "consistent CO2" and had algae issues. I think my issue more came from the light and not lack of CO2. I had to cut back the photo period to 7 hrs and things improved a lot

At this point I am considering raising the light a little to deal with the small amt of GDA I get on the glass.

Always good to get rid of all the algae, scrape the glass, trim off any on plants, clean the filter and then make your changes.

What is your current lighting?

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
My tank has been set up for 2 years now, and so far I've had no algae problems - EVER, lol. It's pretty heavily planted, no co2 or ferts, about 1.5 wpg, and I have nerite snails. So far so good I've not seen algae of any type.

Now watch me get home tonite and the entire tank is over run with the stuff, lol :p

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
belladee-

I'm running a 65w. Coralife PC fixture on legs w/6700K bulb. (Oh yeah, it's a 26gal. bow front.)

·
Registered
458 Posts
Algae can come from anything, light issues, debris, nutrient, c02, Anything...

Algae is just brought on my imbalance...

You CAN actually avoid any algae whatsoever... and I have done it in my 10 gallon with 95 watts of CF 6700k

The CO2 on the thing even ran out... I haven't been dosing much at all...

It's just cause there aren't many nutrients and it's SOOO coverd with plants... literally the densest dwarf hair grass carpet ever, stem plants, dwarf tiger lotus, regular lotus, etc... they just Maooowww on the nutrients, devour them... I put some Green Blue Algae in there from my 72 gallon and it just withered helplessly... like "ahhhh i'm burnning a lliveeee" literally just starving it... so yeah... i mean balance is key but if you have enough plants that just devour the nutrients it's hard for algae to survive

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
My tank has been set up for 2 years now, and so far I've had no algae problems - EVER, lol. It's pretty heavily planted, no co2 or ferts, about 1.5 wpg, and I have nerite snails. So far so good I've not seen algae of any type.

Now watch me get home tonite and the entire tank is over run with the stuff, lol :p
Non CO2 methods tend to have the best long term results with algae, for good reason, while low, the CO2 is very stable, no water changes, low light, low demand for nutrients.

I often suggest them, but few listen.
Excel + low light is another good option.
Stable CO2 enrichment is not as simple as set and forget, many seem to think it is and they might have done okay, but let me tell folks........most are not so lucky.

Changes in the water's elevation due to evaporation can and does increase degassing of the CO2
Clogged filters: changes in CO2
Flow/current changes
Disc getting clogged, not cleaned frequently, intakes getting clogged etc
Changes in plant species, O2 evolution, bacteria production of CO2
Poor measurement of CO2/over reliance on test
Not using the eyeballs to watch the aquarium and tweak CO2.
Structure of the layout(wood, rock, % coverage, thick open layouts etc
How much light you have
How much PO4 you have(or do not have)
Plant species all have different Carbon demands(what? folks think all of the 300-400 species are the same there?) and ability to adapt to CO2 variation in the environment

All these influence CO2 and plant demand for it.
This is just a partial listing.

It's not just a just a question of adding more/less.
And it's not something that new folks can automatically know what to do.
Takes experience.

Regards,
Tom Barr
It's not even 10% as simple as many like to assuem that it is.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Easy as that, eh? Mind telling me how you "find the cause?"
Causes might be a better term and which species specifically that is being discussed, all in all, not the simple answer many who claim to know it all seem to imply:icon_idea

Reality and real world is a lot more complex than that. Humans also factor in and what their goals, perceptions and expectation are. You have to determine what induces each species, and there may be more than one factor or cause involved.

Still, I think it is really a matter of plant growth, not algae germination that is the issue for aquarist. Poor carbon status for plants seems to wreck havoc, that indirectly induces many species of algae.

Whether they detect the plants not doing well, or sense the CO2 changes, I do not know. We can certainly, anyone can, induce algae by varying CO2 concentrations.

Plants just provide the structure for algae it seems to me once they no longer are growing well and are either adapting to new CO2/carbon levels. So the aquatic plants no longer are defining the system, nutrients and algae start to.

So when plant health declines in terms of CO2, plants stop defining the system.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound(or more) of cure. Focus on the plants, tweaking CO2 well, keeping up on things, moderate to low light etc.
Or go non CO2 or use Excel etc with low light.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
Easy as that, eh? Mind telling me how you "find the cause?"
There's countless threads on this topic. Just search.

My way is simple actually and it works for me. I got this from reading other threads so take it as you may. Either hand pick it out or nuke it with H202/Excel. Make sure you maintain good CO2 (also a widely discussed topic), good flow, don't overdue the lights, and keep up with regular maintenance. That's it!

Sorry if that wasn't what you're looking for but as much as I like to read and absorb, I can't give back as good as I retain information.

**Tom beat me to it lol. There ya go!**

·
Registered
414 Posts
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound(or more) of cure. Focus on the plants, tweaking CO2 well, keeping up on things, moderate to low light etc.
Or go non CO2 or use Excel etc with low light.

Regards,
Tom Barr
I couldn't agree more. It took over 2 months of daily work to fix a BBA infestation I had. Had I had proper CO2 in the beginning or lower light I wouldn't have had to do all that work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts