The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently been trying to expand the foods I feed my fish from the standard flake and frozen blood worms. I have Endlers, Harlequin rasbora, Celebes Rainbow, Black Neon Tetras, and blood fin tetras, and various cory species, among others, spread out in a few different tanks. The bigger fish I have aren't the issue here, it's the smaller ones.

I purchased NLS All Purpose Formula 1 MM size and it seems to be too big for many of the fish listed above. This is odd because I feed 1 MM pellets to a betta who has no problem with them, but still. It's also a sinking pellet which seems to be sinking too fast for the tetras, rainbows, and rasbora, in particular.

What are the thoughts for using .5 MM food? Would it be small enough for them to ingest or should I just continue using 1 MM and hope for the best?

I see they have a surface feeder formula which is said to be .8 MM and while that may fix the sinking issue, I'm still afraid it will be too big since it's not much smaller than what I have now.

Now I know I can purchase these foods to see what works, but most of them average about $10 for the smallest container which is just too much $$ if they can't even eat it.

Thoughts on this issue?

·
Registered
76 Posts
This is the "nano mix" I make for my guppy fry, endler fry, pygmy cory fry, brigittae rasboras & celestial pearl danio tanks, all bought from kens's fish, which has their own foods, but is also usually cheaper for name brands too.

Ken's High Protein Fry Green Granule .5 mm
Decapsulated Brine Shrimp
Golden Pearls 5-50 Microns
Ken's Premium Growth Meal #00
New Life Spectrum Small Fish Formula (.5mm)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Why mix the NLS with lesser quality foods? You are diluting your fishes nutrition rather than helping.
Nothing I listed is of lesser quality than the NLS. They help cover a wider range of vitamins and nutrients than NLS alone.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Since some of those fish are micro-predators, 500~800 micron Golden Pearls could be a decent choice. GP 500 - 800 Micron Weaning Diet
Thanks for the idea. Was this directed at me or someone else though?

Also, thanks to everyone else who commented. I have some decent ideas to try out and will likely be purchasing .5 MM pellets for them. Also going to investigate "YFS" food I saw mentioned in another thread.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Thanks for the idea. Was this directed at me or someone else though?

Also, thanks to everyone else who commented. I have some decent ideas to try out and will likely be purchasing .5 MM pellets for them. Also going to investigate "YFS" food I saw mentioned in another thread.
Directed at you, I think..:smile2:

Just a satisfied customer of BSD, and I use their 50-100 micron Golden Pearls as my free swimming, small egg-layer larval food. It's more convenient than baby brine shrimp. Note that all the Golden Pearls tend to stay in the water column longer than sinking food.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.