The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm twelve days into a brand new set up and my ammonia reading hasn't exceeded 0.1 mg/L since I started testing about eight days ago. Today I tested nitrite and nitrate for the first time and was getting 0 and between 5 and 10 mg/L respectively. I wasn't expecting to see nitrate for another week or two based on the reading I've done about fishless cycling new planted tanks. Interestingly enough I noticed a couple pest snails, about the size of a popcorn kernel, that probably came in with some of the plants I bought. No dead ones yet. They seem to be doing fine. Also, I was busy and left the substrate and hardscape in the tank for a couple weeks before planting and filling up with water for the first time (not sure if that would make a difference). I planted heavily with fast growing stems and a few slow epiphytes. Anyway, I don't intend to troubleshoot anything at this point and I will continue to monitor water parameters for another couple weeks before adding fish. I'm just curious if anyone has had a similar experience with an abnormally fast cycle.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.