The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
How's it going out there,
So I am doing a fishless cycle and following steps outlined by Diana in other posts. In her description of what to do it states that if nitrite or ammonia levels exceed 5ppm do a water change. So when the nitrite became excessive I did a 50% water change and the colors of my test kit remained the same so I waited a day and did another water change. and still it appears that the nitrite level is not reducing. below are two pictures of the reading i am getting with my test api test kit. Maybe i am reading it wrong but to me it still appears to be reading at 5ppm. Let me now what you think.
thanks in advance
Chris

As a note I tested my tap water to ensure I was not adding nitrite. test shows 0ppm.
KH at 5 and GH at 8. pH at 7.0. nitrate at 5ppm. and ammonia at .50ppm.(plan on adding more ammonia to bring up to 3ppm today) wondering if I should use some chemical means of lowering nitrite?

i had moved last october and lets just say alot had died plants and fish. i reset the tank and moved everything around. The swords are pretty much the O.G's of my plants, but here is how my tank is now.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1wta79v8jx01usc/20160313_155521.mp4?dl=0

Attachments

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
You could do a 95% water change, then just bring the ammonia to 1ppm until the nitrite removing bacteria catch up.
For whatever reason, it looks like the ammonia removing organisms are racing ahead, and making more nitrite than the nitrite removers (Nitrospira) can deal with.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.