The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been struggling with nitrates for ages. Tank been cycling since May, planted, no fish as of yet. 90 - 95% water change yesterday. After a few people suggested testing the tap water and I can't believe it it's in the region of 80 - 160 馃槼 What's the best cost effective way to reduce please? The tube on the left is tank water, tube on right is tap water 馃槺
Liquid Water Plant Bottle Road surface

Registered
I've been struggling with nitrates for ages. Tank been cycling since May, planted, no fish as of yet. 90 - 95% water change yesterday. After a few people suggested testing the tap water and I can't believe it it's in the region of 80 - 160 馃槼 What's the best cost effective way to reduce please? The tube on the left is tank water, tube on right is tap water 馃槺 View attachment 1045905
If you were in USA I would say with near certainty you are on well water because our government has regulations on allowable nitrates in city water and you are way higher then that. BUT your not in the USA so I can't be as sure.

Anyway if you are on well water you need to shock your well. It's pretty easy to do. If you are not on well water.... well I'm not so sure.

Registered
The tap water at an apartment I live in for a few years was awful and I used to lug around some plastic totes...whenever I visited a friends/parents home I'd fill 'em up...they didn't mind...it was a pain in the you know what but worked out ok on a small scale....so, do you have another water source you can use?

Else, you may consider RO/distilled

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The tap water at an apartment I live in for a few years was awful and I used to lug around some plastic totes...whenever I visited a friends/parents home I'd fill 'em up...they didn't mind...it was a pain in the you know what but worked out ok on a small scale....so, do you have another water source you can use?

As a non driver that's going to prove very difficult. I've found some filters online that attach to the tap so I suppose I'm going to have to buy one of those and hope it does the trick 馃檮

I'm definitely not on well water. I'm going to get a filter that fits onto the tap (faucet) in the hope that works. If not I'll have to go with spring water I guess.

Registered
Before you start manipulating your water chasing the nitrates, you may want to get a second brand of test to verify these results. I was getting the same type of results with my API test kit, but it just didn't make sense. This is with following the directions exactly and shaking the solutions thouroughly. I had some test strips which said I had very low nitrates. I then bought the salifert test kit for nitrates which confirmed what the strips were reading. In my case, it was determined that my API reagents weren't good or were miscalibrated. My point is that I would get a second or third way to test to verify your API results.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Before you start manipulating your water chasing the nitrates, you may want to get a second brand of test to verify these results. I was getting the same type of results with my API test kit, but it just didn't make sense. This is with following the directions exactly and shaking the solutions thouroughly. I had some test strips which said I had very low nitrates. I then bought the salifert test kit for nitrates which confirmed what the strips were reading. In my case, it was determined that my API reagents weren't good or were miscalibrated. My point is that I would get a second or third way to test to verify your API results.
Okay, I'll give it a go. Thank you

I've contacted my water supplier now and asked if they can send someone out to test because I have noticed when I drink the tap water it leaves a greasy residue on my lips. Hopefully I'll get it sorted soon

Registered
Look like you were using API nitrate test kit, which is not reliable. The second agent requires vigorous shaking to homogenize, and failure to do so will dose incorrectly. Over time, the second agent becomes so off that even shaking won鈥檛 restore the correct dosage. I switched to Salifert nitrate test kit that uses powder as the second agent which yields more consistent and reliable results.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Forget worrying about the fish, water that nitrate -laden wouldn't get out into my mouth!

I agree on getting a second opinion before going to extremes, but if it leaves you "feeling greasy"... Yuk! I wonder what else besides nitrates is in there, and what is the source of the nitrate as well?
Thankfully my water supplier are sending someone out next Tuesday to carry out some tests so hopefully I'll have some answers but maybe not if they don't want to admit to poor water 馃し馃徑鈥嶁檧锔 I'll just have to wait and see 馃馃徑

1 - 9 of 9 Posts