The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have 2 Goldfish tanks very healthy, but due to their bio load they kick off way to many Nitrates. I have seen these Nitrate filters and there is no way to afford one...not sure if they work.
I have 2 Eheim 2215 sitting around. Is there any way of adding one of these to each tank and configuring it to be a Nitrate eating machine? Each tank has a 2028 running and HOB. How could I do this. The changing water 2-3X a week is getting old.

Our tap water is another issue altogether. From time to time you might hear me rant & rage about how much Chlorine & Chloramide is added in our old neighborhood. Without opening debate of this....just trust me..errrrrr No doubt this sets back our bio filters. You can dechlorinate all you want but this is really strong. This is no new thing, just a fact we have to live with!!! Some days it's so bad just washing your face burns your eyes.

Thank You for any direction Karen

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Laura, we live up by Camp Bowie & Hulen in the old area, it's when the pipes break & are worked on which is constantly they flood the lines to purify our water. Overall our city water if great, but the issue is where we are!!!! I can rent a filter from a water CO like the fish store has, that would remove all the Chlorine & Chloramide. Yes, we love it when the canister is parked on the curb 2 doors down.
We are looking into that but still we get back to goldfish, between their gill waste & poop they foul the water quickly. We use homemade gel food and still~~~~
We use RO for the shrimp tanks. If I could pack the canister with XXXX???? to help resolve this it would help.

Chernobyl Love it...My friend that owns the LFS she is great, has lots of customers in my same situation that live near us. Thank goodness I don't have a salt tank. Did that since the early 1970's.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well Seachem makes Matrix which is a boilogical filter,

"These macropores are ideally sized for the support of nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria. This allows Matrix™, unlike other forms of biomedia, to remove nitrate along with ammonia and nitrite, simultaneously and in the same filter."

Also there is De*nitrate

"For best results, de*nitrate™ should be placed to assure the flow of water through it, such as in a canister filter, chemical filtration module, or box filter. Flow rate should not exceed 200 L (50 gallons*) per hour. If higher flow rates are unavoidable, use Matrix"

Basically these materials allow anaerobic bacteria to grow deep inside them while aerobic bacteria grow on the outside. Because it's the lack of oxygen that allows the de-nritate bacteria to grow you need to slower flow rates.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought about Matrix, flow can be adjusted down on the canisters. These tanks have a lot of crypts in pots & anubius on driftwood. To look at the cube one might mistaken it for planted. What ever the end results of the inside of the canister I will prefilter to keep it clean and solely for biological filtration. I think De*Nitrate has a short life??? where Matrix just keep on churning. Good thoughts Thank You!!

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Algone will completely remove nitrate. You will get 0 ppm.
And what happens to it?

What do the plants "eat"?

IMO there's simply nothing that can replace water changes. If the nitrates are building up, then so are other hormones/oils/toxins that we don't test for. Water changes are the only thing that will remove ALL of them.

Running Purigen in your filters and rotating bags out on a regular basis may help buy time between water changes.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Purigen is great we added it 3 years ago and it is a fantastic product. I think I'll order some Matrix from Big Al's.
Fluidized Bed filters, will do some reading Thanks

Today I'm reassembling the extra canisters, so the questions would be do I slow the flow down as to allow more time in the canister???

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
We have 2 Goldfish tanks very healthy, but due to their bio load they kick off way to many Nitrates. I have seen these Nitrate filters and there is no way to afford one...not sure if they work.
I have 2 Eheim 2215 sitting around. Is there any way of adding one of these to each tank and configuring it to be a Nitrate eating machine? Each tank has a 2028 running and HOB. How could I do this. The changing water 2-3X a week is getting old.

Our tap water is another issue altogether. From time to time you might hear me rant & rage about how much Chlorine & Chloramide is added in our old neighborhood. Without opening debate of this....just trust me..errrrrr No doubt this sets back our bio filters. You can dechlorinate all you want but this is really strong. This is no new thing, just a fact we have to live with!!! Some days it's so bad just washing your face burns your eyes.

Thank You for any direction Karen
Why not try a small 10 Gal plant tank in line with window light or an algae scrubber instead?

Simply have a vertical sheet that water runs down, much like those tacky little Serenity fountains, gets some sunlight(or you can add some lighting) and then grows algae that exports the waste?

A 10 Gal tank with some floating water sprite, this can also be added to the tank, will mop up a lot of waste.

You likely are over feeding the fish and do not have enough tank volume for the bioload if you have to change the water more than 1x a week.

I'd not rely on denitrification really from various products.
Carbon is carbon really.
Change often(4 weeks).

If you want to waste a lot of space for denitrification,.........well............you may as well add some Water sprite and have a small plant filter tank , much like a Freshwater refugium. Water sprite is very easy, no CO2, does well on low light and with high bioloading.

See how much $ in trade you get for denitrifying bacteria:proud:

Regards,
Tom Barr

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.