The Planted Tank Forum banner

Ninja's Mini M Journal

2194 11
I think I'll post the pictures first, then I'll get to the back story.
(Don't mind the stinky iPhone pics, I'll bust out the DSLR when the water clears up)

Angle Shot

Wood Close-Up

FTS

I originally bought this tank with the intention of leaving it empty untill I moved into my college dorm. However after I sold my 20 gallon the clippings I saved were not doing well in my dimly lit, unfiltered betta aquarium, so I set up the Mini M early. When the crypts were in the betta tank all but one species of my cryptocorynes lost their leaves, so as of right now I have no idea which cryptocorynes are which, they well be re-grouped and replanted as they re-grow. I finally recieved my driftwood yesterday so I figured it was time I started my first tank journal.

Fauna:
2 Guppy Fry
3 young White Cloud Mountain Minnows

Flora:
Java Moss
Cryptocoryne Wendtii Red
Cryptocoryne Retrospiralis
Cryptocoryne Crispatula var. Balansae
Cryptocoryne Undulatus
Cryptocoryne Lutea
Cryptocoryne Blasii
Cryptocoryne Usteriana
Vesuvius Sword
Some type of Hygo (not pictured, I leave it floating though)
Soon to come: Bolbitis and Pelia, I need to pull them out of another one of my tanks.

Equipment:
ADA Mini M
Aqua-Tech H.O.B.
Desk Lamp with 15 watt CFL
ADA Amazonia "New"
ADA Hornwood

I'll be ordering the Archea 27 watt clip-on some time next week, and I'm going to mess with my AquaClear 20 and see if I can get it to stop rattling so I can use it on this tank.

This is my first time aquascaping with driftwood, there are actually 5 pieces in there. I feel that something needs to be done with the upright piece on the far left, I just can't figure out what right now.
Any and all comments, advice, and suggestions are are much appreciated.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
The wood looks great! I thought that it was all 1 piece. As for the upright piece, maybe put it in the back? It's hard to judge right now since when the plants fill in, only then you can really see if it fits or not. Then again, there are scapes where awkward pieces turns out very good once the plants fills in. BTW that's a nice thermometer.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I'm going to play around with that one awkwardly upright piece during the next water change and see what I can come up with. Does anyone know any magical tricks to bring bolbitis back to life? I pulled mine out of my other tank, set it down on the stand, forgot about it and remembered just in time to find it all dried up and crumbly...

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is 27 watts of compact fluorescent lighting too much light if I'm not injecting co2? I can't decide wether to get the 27 watt or the 13 watt archaea light for this tank. Oh and I'm going to post some new pictures of the tank this afternoon.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update Time
FTS

Angle Shot

Wood Close-up

I played with the one upright piece for a while and couldn't find a better spot for it, so I just put it back where it was. Also I moved the java moss covered rocks and added a leafless Anubias Nana Petite rhizome and some pelia. Last night I ordered both the 27 watt and 13 watt models of the Archaea clip-on light. I'll try the 13 watt version first, if it isn't powerful enough I'll move it to my 2.5 gallon tank and use the 27 watt version the Mini M. If the 13 watt is enough I'll just sell the 27 watt on the swap and shop for cheap.

On a completely unrelated side note, I've been looking to replace my trusty N75 as it has developed an electrical issue that causes it to drain batteries super fast. Does anyone have any input/experience with Nikon 35mm SLR cameras? I've mainly been looking at either the F100 or the F4.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, I'll be checking out that site, hopefully it'll help me out. Anyway the tank is a mess right now, I've got green spot algae, diatoms, driftwood fungus, and some dark green-black stuff growing. As of right now you can barely see into the tank. This morning I changed about half the water, replanted a few plants, and took out all the fish. I also put in an order for a bunch of stuff, some nerites, bolbitis, dwarf hair grass, some shrimp that I've never kept before (can't remember what they're called lol), and a few other things. I'll definitely get some more pics posted once I get all the goodies in the mail, I paid for express shipping so it should be here soon, at least I hope it will. I'm super stoked about the shrimp, they're striped similar to tiger shrimp, but they're not tiger shrimp... I'll remember what they are sooner or later...

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm kinda liking the bare wood look, but your suggestion got me thinking, I may play around with moss on the wood next time I'm working on the tank. Sorry for the lack of picture updates, life has been kinda crazy lately with work and such, not to mention my car has now been in the shop for over a month fixing stuff the previous owner messed up. The tank has been pretty much on auto-pilot lately, I pretty much just add water and turn the lights on and off. I did finally receive my archaea light, and it is fantastic, I love it. Also I finished my kinda ADA style stand and got the tank set up on it. For reasons unknown to me my order of shrimp and plants has not been shipped to me, I've contacted them twice but it's been nearly a month so I may cancel the order and buy from someone else. Anywho now for the good news, I have tomorrow off so I'm going to get some picture updates posted up for sure, I mean it this time... hopefully. I borrowed a couple of nerites from another tank so you can kinda see into it.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I have bad news, two weeks ago I found out that I was indeed going to college this semester, which threw off a lot of things. I ended up having to take the tank down for now, it's all in storage so whenever I have free time I'll set it back up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.