The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I suppose it's time to start a thread for my 10g (failure waiting to happen) tank. It's a waterbox clear 10 and will probably be a shrimp tank. IDK which species but leaning towards trying CRS or CBS for the first time. Currently it's in a dry start phase. Substrate I went with Fluval Stratum topped with Brightwell Escuro-F. I didn't buy enough stratum and decided to buy Escuro after the fact, no other reason. Using HC for the carpet and haven't decided the other plants yet. Probably go with some mid ground in front of hard scape (S. Repens). For behind the hard scape idk yet. Have a picture of what I hope it'll look like if I can keep from messing it up! CO2 system will be CO2Art PRO-SE Series and a Aquario NEO CO2 Extended diffuser. I like that you can custom fit their diffuser to the tank. Will be using a 2213 with lily pipes for filtration, most likely turned down a touch. Light is provided by a NICREW SkyLED Plus, not sold on it though. I built a stand out of some spare wood I had, I painted it black but don't have a picture post paint. My aqua scaping skills lack as well so be gentle lol. Not sure about the longer piece of driftwood, might remove it idk. I read to just "lay" the plants down and let gravity pull the roots down, not to actually "plant" them. After a week some of the clumps are looking good, others haven't really changed. In order the pictures are; stand, stand and tank, before planting, after planting, after 1 week, and then what I hope it looks like eventually.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
1 month in! Seeing some growth, hopefully it really takes off soon. Also removed the longer piece of wood, just seemed out of place.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Off to a great start, nice scape! You might hate me for saying this, but I actually liked it with the long piece of wood in there lol.
Thanks! I don't hate you lol. If I could make the longer piece look a little more seem less I would have left it.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Starting to really take off.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Humidity might be a little too high!

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
I like the long wood too but what matters most is what you like! I always have issues with algae growing on stuff that's that close to the light too. The top of that branch would be pretty bright! Nice looking start BTW.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I like the long wood too but what matters most is what you like! I always have issues with algae growing on stuff that's that close to the light too. The top of that branch would be pretty bright! Nice looking start BTW.
Thanks, it looked like there was some mold growing on the upper 1" of the wood so that also helped with the decision. Maybe after I flood it I'll put it back in there and see if I like it once I add the other plants in the back left corner.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got my co2 tank filled today. Also ordered my 2213 and lily pipes. Going with a skimmer intake and a poppy pipe outflow. Was thinking about trying to make a moss wall. I have some Christmas moss and some plastic mesh that could work.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is a recent picture, getting closer! Idk if I should fill it now or not. A couple small white spots have formed on my driftwood, idk if it's mold or not.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I definitely think it's mold so I'm just gonna fill it tonight. My carpet isn't completely full but I think I got a good head start. Will probably post pictures tomorrow of it filled.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is a picture of it right after I filled it. I didn't realize how big the poppy pipe would be, not too bad though. It slows down the return enough so I don't have to turn down the filter manually. The skimmer intake is a little tricky to get dialed in right. It's barely skimming but it's still skimming so I'm not gonna mess with it.

My drop checker is showing light green now but I may have to reposition it bc some of the smaller bubbles are getting blown towards it. Will give the carpet a week or so then give it a trim and see if it returns lol.

Reactions: Scully

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Little update I added 3 chili rasboras and 3 phoenix rasboras, I definitely like the chilis better and will be finding more of those. IDK how many I want to add, I was thinking a dozen fish total.

I added some plastic mesh with some left over Christmas moss I had from making my betta a bed. I will get another container of it soon and add more to hopefully grow into a moss wall and block some light from entering my living room. Trimmed my HC in some spots where it was thicker, hopefully I don't have too much melting and it starts to spread and get thicker. Was easier to trim than I thought but need to get some smaller scissors for around my drift wood. Also ordered some plants from buceplant and a 45-60cm Chihiros wrgb ii to replace the lights I have now.

Now just waiting on my plants and light to arrive!

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Chihiros wrgb ii came in today. Got it set up on an 11 hour period. 1.5 hours ramp up and down and 8 hours at 9500k at 100% power.

Plants are supposed to be here tomorrow, we'll see how well they did during shipping. Hopefully not too bad, hasn't been super cold here in Texas. Low last night was 41°.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got my plants in and got them planted (somewhat). Not really happy with the way it turned out. Gonna give it some time and see if it grows in and looks good. If not I'll be changing it up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Made a couple changes to my original plan. Idk if I like it or not. Might move my rotala behind the driftwood. I've been having a problem with the rotala trying to "crawl" instead of growing up right. I also got a bottle of thrive and will be dosing that biweekly.

On another note I finally got my shades in the mail for my light, I really like the look. Decided to move my tank into the dining room so I can gate it off bc my son will be moving around soon and with it in there it'll be one less thing for him to mess with.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts