The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any night lighting that I can put on my planted tank that will not cause algae growth. I am currently using blue led but I think it might be encouraging some Algae growth. I was thinking maybe a led blacklight might work but not sure if it will cause issues or if the blue led is not really the issue.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Is there any night lighting that I can put on my planted tank that will not cause algae growth. I am currently using blue led but I think it might be encouraging some Algae growth. I was thinking maybe a led blacklight might work but not sure if it will cause issues or if the blue led is not really the issue.
Typically we don't want any added light on a tank at night. Is there a reason you want to light your tank at night?

Any added visible light will lead to algae in some amount so if you absolutely insist on doing this the key will be as little light as possible.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's just for visual purposes. The tank is in my home office so it is lite most of the day, 9-5 but I would like to look at it sometimes at night with the family/friends so it would be nice to have it somewhat lit at night.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Maybe switch to a light that ramps?

Run at some lower percentage (50% is a good starting point) most of the day.

I'm at 3 hrs a day full intensity. The rest of my 7 hr total light duration is at 50% or less.

You could also run a siesta midday. Atleast an hour if not more.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
It's just for visual purposes. The tank is in my home office so it is lite most of the day, 9-5 but I would like to look at it sometimes at night with the family/friends so it would be nice to have it somewhat lit at night.
If I have folks over I just turn on the tank lights longer. Otherwise I split my lighting schedule so the lights are on when I'm around. So my tank in my kitchen has 4 hours in the morning and then 4 hours in the evening. My tank in my office has lights that turn on at 1pm and run for 8 hours straight because that tends to cover when I'm actually in that space.

Since I only have company over during a time when the lights would otherwise be off on rare occasions the extra photoperiod is essentially a non issue. I would not advise keeping lights on at night on a regular basis.

You could run a longer photo period at a reduced light level but this is definitely a trial and error kind of thing and you could definitely end up with some big algae blooms before you get it dialed in.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would also consider ramping the lights, especially if its a tank that's always in your field of vision or a display tank. Using a timer/dimmer (if compatible) would let you stretch out the lighting period throughout the day with the customizable light intensity feature while reducing the chance of algae. Some lights like the Fluval 3.0 have apps that can do this, if its like a Twinstar/chihiros then something like the way2top dimmer. Seeing your tank at like 30% in the evening is actually quite nice and mixes it up from the norm. If that's not an option, I would also second the splitting of the light period so you have some hours in the evening/night.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.