The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In our condo we have something called a night 8 electricity plan. Basically our electricity is cheaper from 11pm-7am. That is the only time our hot water heater will heat water.

Since I work a night shift and don't usually get home till 10~11pm, I was wondering if it will be ok to run the lights from 11pm-7am? That way I can save a few $$ plus be able to relax and view my tank when I get home. Just don't want to stress my fish too much.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
In our condo we have something called a night 8 electricity plan. Basically our electricity is cheaper from 11pm-7am. That is the only time our hot water heater will heat water.

Since I work a night shift and don't usually get home till 10~11pm, I was wondering if it will be ok to run the lights from 11pm-7am? That way I can save a few $$ plus be able to relax and view my tank when I get home. Just don't want to stress my fish too much.
Hi Kado,

Not a problem, the plants should do just fine! Spend the money you save on extra plants!

·
Registered
1,701 Posts

Not a problem at all.

I run my aquarium lighting from 6 pm - 2 am, since that is when I am up.

Nobody is around during the day to enjoy the aquarium anyway!
Make certain they receive no light during the day. Fish and plants need total darkness just like you and me do.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Make certain they receive no light during the day. Fish and plants need total darkness just like you and me do.
Must be difficult to turn off the moon at night; especially since it is out about 27 nights per month.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Moonlight is extremely dim. Even so during the full phase. It's dimmer than you imagine. Fish can hide in dark places. Photosynthesis does not occur during full moonlight. All diurnal life forms need a period of darkness. Plants can fold up their leaves when they have received enough light. You might have noticed this happening with your own plants when they have received enough light.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.