The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this for a 20 gal high when I went with live plants (No CO2) and started having algae problems right away. Now I am setting up a 29 gal and wonder if some of the algae problems might be the light. It says it is 26W, 20V, 64 (6500K White), 12 (450nm Blue) and 8 (660nm Red). I have no idea what that means. I have just been using it at the settings it came with. It is sitting above the glass with the brackets on the edge of the tank. Is that ok or too much light?

·
Registered
15 Posts
How long do you have the light on for? The red and blue lights are helpful for plant growth. I'm assuming this is the finnex 24/7 line of lights? Default settings are fine, if that was the only change prior to the algae bloom then I'd say reduce your light period

EDIT: Big brain moment, make sure you read the title of the post.... everything mentioned still applies tho

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I started with lights on for 10 hours and then reduced it to 8. I don't know what finnex means. I put everything that was on the box in the post. The 24-30 is the length of the light.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I started with lights on for 10 hours and then reduced it to 8. I don't know what finnex means. I put everything that was on the box in the post. The 24-30 is the length of the light.
finnex is just a brand name, as I said, I had a big brain moment and didn't read the title at first. I realized then that you had a nicrew light. You just need to shorten the light period

·
Registered
129 Posts
FINNEX is a light brand but you are using different brand: Nicrew. FYI, just got this light and is great!!

Finnex Planted+ 24/7 HLC Aquarium LED Light

·
Registered
20g aquarium with beginner plants and fish.
85 Posts
I have the nicrew planted plus on a 20H and It works good at 100% low tech. I would work your way up with the lighting. Also when you give the plants more light they need more ferts so take that into consideration as well.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the nicrew planted plus on a 20H and It works good at 100% low tech. I would work your way up with the lighting. Also when you give the plants more light they need more ferts so take that into consideration as well.
Thank you. I started with light at 100% and no fertilizer or carbon. Newbie!!! By the time I started Excel and fertilizer, it was too late. I cut the plants down that were covered in bba. It was on heater, air line, log and filter intake pipe. I tried a 3 day blackout. The few remaining plants were the only thing I noticed affected. Then I tried a heavy dose of Excel, 20 ml.

I am starting a 29 gal with new plants and substrate. I soaked the heater, filter pipe and thermometer in peroxide and boiled the log. I have a new air line for the new tank. I'm just waiting for the plants I ordered to come and then I will move the fish. I know I was overstocked. With the new tank, and fertilizer and Excel, do you think it would be ok to run the lights at 100% or maybe start out at 40% or 50% and go from there?

·
Registered
20g aquarium with beginner plants and fish.
85 Posts
Plants really need time to adjust to there new environment, so for about the first couple weeks they wouldent grow much. So it would be best to start out low (about 40%) for about 6 hours then you could work your way up to something more like 80% maybe up to 100% because a 29 is pretty deep, for 10hrs. Also for excel you have to be careful not to overdose because it could kill fish, it will also make valis and some other plants melt even with a normal dose. Good luck on this! Can’t wait to see what you come up with!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts