The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

Does anyone know what kind of power adapter you need to purchase for this light? My old one fried/exploded a while ago and would like to get this light up and running again. I've searched amazon and sent Nicrew a e-mail but have yet to receive a reply from them. just wondering if anyone needed to replace this part yet and if so what did they replace it with?

·
snails are your friend
3,093 Posts
I've replaced a few LED power adapters in my day just by scouring the internet, they've all worked to best of my memory. Generally just google and try to find a replacement. Put the UPC and "adapter" into your favorite search engine and see if you don't find something. If you don't take a photo of the sticker on the back and I'll see if I can find it. Can't promise it will work, but I'd try it for 20 bucks before paying more than the light costs, should Nicrew offer something absurd.

·
Registered
13,144 Posts
Any switching power supply will work as long as the voltage is the same and power output is equal or greater.

The cheap ones, I swear, have planned obsolescence via capacitors of about a couple of years.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Look online for an "AC/DC Adapter" or "AC/DC Power Supply". Should be plenty of options on Amazon or the other usual suspects.

Look at the label on your existing power supply. They key aspects are the input/output (highlighted red) and polarity (highlighted blue). The input should be pretty standard, most likely 100-240VAC 50/60HZ. The output something like 12VDC 2000mA (or 2A) as an example. The voltage should match, if you can't find the exact current better to go higher than lower. If your current power supply is 2000mA and you buy a 3000mA one it doesn't mean you'll be driving more current through the LEDs and burn them out. The LEDs will draw the same current if you had a 10A supply, it just means the supply is capable of providing that higher amount without being overloaded.

The polarity of the plug (highlighted blue) tells you which part of the plug is + and which is -, that has to match along with the size. This barrel connector is very common in small consumer electronics and chances are the NICREW light uses this common size.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.