The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I am replacing my ancient 29 gallon tank with a 72 gallon bow front I scored for cheap. I had to reseal it since it had been dry (and still salty...) for years, so please ignore the heavy-handed silicone job, it was my first attempt ever. It's not pretty but it worked. Let it cure for a week and yes, I tested it outside. Woohoo, no leaks! Then I installed a prismatic window film and some color-changing LED lights for the backdrop. Lyric the nosy cat for scale. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I (very carefully!) stapled the light strand to a piece of clear mesh left over from another project, then tacked this to the wall behind the tank. I’ll have to get video of this and post a link, I love how it turned out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tessa

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went the drainage crate method for a support structure, built a hill of large black lava rocks (my background in saltwater tanks is showing! haha), then filled them in with crushed black lava rock. I then topped the substrate with medium grade black diamond blasting sand, which filled in even more gaps between the rocks. I'd like to plant either a moss or short carpeting plant between the rocks. I have plenty of riccia and java moss in another tank but am considering either monte carlo or dwarf baby tears. I won't be running CO2 for a couple of months but it will be added down the road. Any suggestions?

The attached photo is before I added the sand and I removed the driftwood on the left side already, I was still just playing around with it, I'll probably do "trees" on that side instead since I have a lot of driftwood in the 29 gallon I am replacing.

Reactions: varanidguy

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Just a ridiculously reflected cell phone pic after I added the sand.

The tank has been filled and the sump is running, so I’ll get better photos once the water clears up. I can’t wait to start transferring over plants from the old tank!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

It’s a sump! Vectra M1 return pump, Lifereef overflow, DIY trickle filter made from two sterilite drawer sets (Man, I love YouTube!) Lots of bio media and foam blocks. Blue Store bucket will be hooked up to my Eheim ATO at some point. The 20 gallon high tank for the sump had to be put in place from the top of the stand. I had read this online somewhere when researching sump sizes so had planned for it and averted a potential problem.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts

It’s a sump! Vectra M1 return pump, Lifereef overflow, DIY trickle filter made from two sterilite drawer sets (Man, I love YouTube!) Lots of bio media and foam blocks. Blue Store bucket will be hooked up to my Eheim ATO at some point. The 20 gallon high tank for the sump had to be put in place from the top of the stand. I had read this online somewhere when researching sump sizes so had planned for it and averted a potential problem.

That looks really good! I was going to say that the trickle filter looks similar to the kind Joey (the King of DIY) made for his DIY sumps video.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

FTS. Water is clearing up and the driftwood is sinking randomly. I ordered some additional large lava rocks from the Orange Store to cover up the bits of visible drainage cells.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I went the drainage crate method for a support structure, built a hill of large black lava rocks (my background in saltwater tanks is showing! haha), then filled them in with crushed black lava rock. I then topped the substrate with medium grade black diamond blasting sand, which filled in even more gaps between the rocks. I'd like to plant either a moss or short carpeting plant between the rocks. I have plenty of riccia and java moss in another tank but am considering either monte carlo or dwarf baby tears. I won't be running CO2 for a couple of months but it will be added down the road. Any suggestions?

The attached photo is before I added the sand and I removed the driftwood on the left side already, I was still just playing around with it, I'll probably do "trees" on that side instead since I have a lot of driftwood in the 29 gallon I am replacing.
I don't think Monte Carlo or dwarf baby tears would do well in BDBS without CO2. Maybe something like helanthium tennelum or dwarf hairgrass?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That looks really good! I was going to say that the trickle filter looks similar to the kind Joey (the King of DIY) made for his DIY sumps video.

Hah, yep. That’s exactly where I got the idea!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't think Monte Carlo or dwarf baby tears would do well in BDBS without CO2. Maybe something like helanthium tennelum or dwarf hairgrass?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Hhhhmmmm, too grassy for how I'm picturing it. Either of those you mentioned would look great around the base of the "mountain", so I appreciate the idea!

Bump:
Your rock work is really great.

Maybe you could consider Fissidens fontanus in and around the various crevices?
Pretty! I like the feathery appearance.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I rearranged a few things and finally added some plants to the new tank. I decided to only use the established anubias covered driftwood piece from the 29 gallon so I removed the other big pieces from the last pics. I had a ton of java fern so I planted it all over the “hill”, I really like how it’s turned out so far!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That looks really good! It’s gonna be awesome when it all grows in!

Thanks!! I moved in some of the fish (guppies) from the 29 but I still need to remove the rest of the plants and empty it out all the way. I have a TON of crypt wendtii "bronze" still in there that I don't need.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
WARNING: Photo Dump Incoming! Then I'll go back and edit to add comments.

11/17/19 - I've never grown Madagascar lace plant or tiger lotus before and I LOVE them. This tank is going to be messy. I like lots of botanicals, tannin stained water doesn't bother me, so I got a ton of seed pods, leaves, and cones from My Aquarium Box.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
11/28/19

I think my background in reef tanks is definitely influencing this build. I already have a rock pile (kind of reef-like, right?) and I kept imagining a bunch of floating stems waving around like seaweed.

So I made two hanging baskets out of shower caddies to grow floating/stem and emersed plants. I filled the baskets with extra Eco-Complete. Left basket holds Elodea & Lobelia cardinalis, the right one contains hornwort & purple waffle (Hemigraphis.)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
12/08/19 - Random pics

Purple ramshorn snail

Guppy fry!

FTS (stupid reflection...)

Bunch-o-tetras

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
More random pics from December!

Just thought this one was neat.

Miss Lyra checking things out. Luckily both of my cats don't care about the fish at all.

Left side view from my recliner. :D

Pygmy cory

My favorite blue/purple guppy

Albino bristlenose pleco

Reactions: Streetwise

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was playing with the camera on my new iPhone 11. Ignore algae on glass, please. I thought it was cool how it can focus in depth on the snails so well in pretty much the same shot (I obviously know NOTHING about photography) plus I discovered a hydra! I think it's a hydra anyway...

Reactions: Streetwise
1 - 20 of 21 Posts