The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I'm back in the hobby after 25 yrs. Just set up a 90 gal planted tank. It's been running for about six days now. LFS guy suggested Amano AS/Power Sand combo. Plants went in 3 days after filling tank ( 30 bunches of stem plants @ 4-6 stalks per bunch. LFS recommends adding algae eaters 3 days after planting, which is tomorrow. Ammonia disappeared 1 day after plants went in, but nitrates are off the wall at 100 ppm. Did a 40% WC that dropped nitrates to around 50ppm with nitrites at .2ppm, which I hear is border line toxic. I'm thinking I need to do some WC's for a while to get those nitrite and nitrate levels down some. Your thoughts about what I should do next. (Pressurized CO2 at about 1 bubble/sec, KH-1.0, PH- 6.9, temp- 77.8F )

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Get the CO2 levels up. Your pH should be around 6.0 Of course with the AS and powersand in there it's going to be hard to know what CO2 levels you have. But one bps is about 1/3 what you should be running at a minimum.

Get a drop checker to indicate CO2 levels.

How much light are you running?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rex. I'll boost the CO2. I took your advise from a post on another forum and bought my lighting from AH Supply-- 4x55w 7800K pc's. Rex, does the PH stay at 6 even when the fish go in?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.