1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry old camera
http://tinypic.com/r/117w9dj/8
http://tinypic.com/r/24vqmok/8
is this type of aggression and behavior normal for paired gbr's?
they have only been in the tank for a week or a little less, before that they were in QT for 2weeks.
so not sure if I should assume the aggression from the large male is due to new surroundings and stress from the moves

I bought them from http://www.germanbluerams.com/shop/1-breeding-pair-german-blue-rams/ labeled as "naturally bonded paired on their own"

so I guess my main questions are do they look bonded?
and is this type of aggression normal (chasing but no visible fin nipping, not really hanging out with eachother much etc) or is it too early to judge?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
should I remove her? or him?
I am kinda getting sick of seeing him bully like this. but I dont know if it is truly harmful or if its normal . I dot know what I should do
I could stick one back in the 10 gal but I feel like thatd be really stressful and I dont want to do it before I know if it's truly needed

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes, but she doesnt use them often, just pces the glass when he starts to chase her
last night after the lights went off though i saw them "hugging" and rubbing against each other so now im really confused
trying to understand fish emotions is ridiculous

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
just rearranged a bit like suggested, even as I was re arranging he was nipping at her rather than hiding ... this is getting ridiculous
how long should I allow this type of aggression to go on before I do take some sort of action?
Id rather not let this female die if possible

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
When I started out with my blues, I had 2 females and 1 male. I allowed him to pick the female and the other went into my 55g. Adding another female might help spread it out a bit.

Here is what I'm seeing
new fish to a new tank
territories have not been established yet
The aggression you might be seeing might be more geared towards territory than breeding. I don't advocate picking up additional fish unless you have somewhere for them to go incase things go south. Adding an additional female might help.
Mine have been together for months and they still nip/dart at each other from time to time

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yea, i wasnt worried in the begining because they would hang out together and only once in a while hed nudge her or something, then he started chasing her, then they split up and he literally started chasing her everytime that he sees her ...literally

I guess I only have 2 real options at the moment and thats putting him in the 10 gal for a while, letting her settle in the trying to add him back
OR getting a new female and letting him choose.

my only problem is I dont know when I should be doing this, like when is it time to draw the line and remove him, is there any red flags I should be looking for or certain amount of time I should wait?
first time owning a pair of gbrs.. so its hard for me to know when its normal aggression that I have read about and is natural or if its real aggression that will kill the female

at the moment the harassing looks pretty relentless and they spend 0% of the day together. with the exception of when hes chasing her all around the tank.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Are you positively sure that you have a male and female? I'm sure they experience breeders but everyone makes mistakes. I've never really seen a male chase a female around like that even under stress.
I can't see the video but I can say that my male chase the female around when he is ready to mate. At first I was wondering but then usaully the next day I would find eggs on the driftwood or rock.
Sad part is they eggs never make it.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i see
do you know if these black markings and black line through her side are due to stress or normal markings?

if she looks ok ill leave them together for a few more days, if nothing happens and he still harasses her so much ill try separating them

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.