The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first time posting, although I have been reading quite a few threads on this site.

I am new to this hobby and started about 4 months ago with a 70 gallon planted aquarium (tank is tall, not wide). I have several sword plants, Anubis, Java Fern, banana plant, crypts, etc. I have been using the Finnex Planted+ 24/7 for lighting, EcoComplete for substrate, dosing with Flourish Complete weekly, and adding root tabs every 3 months. My plants are healthy, but not growing quickly.

I also have 4 albino corys, 4 guppies, 5 rummy nose tetra, 2 swordtails, and 3 shrimp.

I would like to add Co2 to my tank, but feel completely clueless on where to start. I am a working mother, so clearly there is a budget. However, I have invested so much time and money into this tank already, that I do not want to go cheap and end up killing my fish or plants. I would greatly appreciate some advice.

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
Welcome to TPT.

There are currently no "off the shelf" commercially available co2 set-up that I would personally recommend.
Given that, you have 2 options: a) put one together yourself b) buy one built by another reputable hobbiest.

You can advertise WTB here: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/156-wtb-raok/

Check what is offered by others here: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/153-sale-trade/

One of many current discussions on the same subject (check post #22 for a reasonably priced configuration) : https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12-tank-journals/1276165-30-gallon-tank-hornwood-seiryu-stone.html

Any questions? Then you came to the right place.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My brother very effectively used DIY CO2 on a 75 Gallon. Each end had power heads with the airline tubing going to the inlet. Chops the bubbles and sent them half way across the tank. Used the giant 2.5 or 3 liter soda bottles, I think 4 total, with T's and check valves, and alternated them about monthly. With more water in the jug, the yeast lasts longer. Play around with ratios and you'll get the long slow steady stream.

Seems tedious but it is something to do while the tank is filling up.

Giant bag of costco sugar, a packet of yeast, you'll get set for yearS

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I continued researching the issue after my post and now I am second guessing my lighting. I use the Finnex Planted+ on the max setting for about 8 hours a day (I do not use the 24hr setting). There is about 23-24 inches from the light to the substrate. My tank is 17 inches deep. Is it possible inadequate lighting is the reason for slow plant growth? Or do you think I need a Co2 setup?

Bump: I continued researching after my post and now I am second guessing my lighting and thinking that might be the reason for slow plant growth. I use the Finnex Planted+ on the max setting for about 8 hours a day (I do not use the 24hr cycle). While my tank is about 70 gallons, it is tall. There is 23-24 inches from the light to the substrate. The depth of the tank (from the front to back) is 17 inches. Is this enough light? Do I need Co2?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I continued researching the issue after my post and now I am second guessing my lighting. I use the Finnex Planted+ on the max setting for about 8 hours a day (I do not use the 24hr setting). There is about 23-24 inches from the light to the substrate. My tank is 17 inches deep. Is it possible inadequate lighting is the reason for slow plant growth? Or do you think I need a Co2 setup?

Bump: I continued researching after my post and now I am second guessing my lighting and thinking that might be the reason for slow plant growth. I use the Finnex Planted+ on the max setting for about 8 hours a day (I do not use the 24hr cycle). While my tank is about 70 gallons, it is tall. There is 23-24 inches from the light to the substrate. The depth of the tank (from the front to back) is 17 inches. Is this enough light? Do I need Co2?
You need CO2 and will enjoy the results of even a basic DIY CO2 setup. (bottle, yeast, sugar, hose, air stone)

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
The plants you listed do not require a lot of light. For the plant growth, the injected co2 is the most significant accelerator as it provides the primary building block of organic life - Carbon. Everything else comes second.

Keep in mind that fast growth comes at a price: higher demand for nutrients, more trimming, more cleaning. Not unlike raising a teenager.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a Finnex planted plus 24/7 and it should penetrate 2ft of water fine. The max setting is very bright! Adjust duration accordingly if it's not giving the results you desire. But definitely look into "DIY CO2" and make a setup.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes i totally agree, CO2 means alot of effort in cleaning trimming, plus co2 is a life changer id rather not to have planted ever without co2, it's like magic for plants!!! not kidding it's the fact, i tried many time to have aquarium without co2 but I don't get best results this my last nano tank you can see it
https://youtu.be/IbBZUKQuOzo

Can't own a planted tank due alot of travels but i might start 60p soon

Anyway figure out how to have co2 and u won't regret it!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank you all for the input. It is truly appreciated. I have a green thumb and I have enjoyed working with plants for over 25 years now...just was nervous to get into the Co2 setup. I have a rose garden, vegetable garden, orchid collection, and was the only drunk girl in college that cared about my house plants. Lol.

I will look into the tip that were provided and I am sure be posting with more questions. Thank you!

I will be purchasing a 5 lb aluminum tank, but have been looking at a few options for a regulator. The two I have found that seem to be best are the U.P. Aqua Co2 regulator and the ST International 2 gauge. Does anyone have experience with either of these two?? I will have to research diffusers...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will be purchasing a 5 lb aluminum tank, but have been looking at a few options for a regulator. The two I have found that seem to be best are the U.P. Aqua Co2 regulator and the ST International 2 gauge. Does anyone have experience with either of these two?? I will have to research diffusers...

·
Registered
213 Posts
After many years of being absent, I got back into the hobby with a 55 gallon tank. I purchased easy low light plants community type fish and after a while I started to add supplements to compliment my plants. Then after about 18 months I realized that maybe I should take the next step which was CO2 so I did some research and I built a system which is not hard to do. I started off slow in regard to the dosing and after a while I sort of think that I have found my sweet spot. As far as equipment goes I believe in quality equipment and that doesn`t have to be medical grade stuff for what we do, but failure isn`t a option either.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can you explain to me the ratings.
They say for 20 gal. 30 gal. 50 gal. but if you can adjust the regulator and bubble counter does any of that really matter????

1 - 12 of 12 Posts