The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellows this is my new tank, been adding new plants over the course of the last two months since I set it up. I have never setup a planted tank before. I have horribly low lighting, at 1WPG. Will be fixing this (hopefully) soon by building my own canopy and wiring in sockets to use cheap compact spiral fluorescents. I decided to give Diana Walstad's advice about using cheap cat litter as a substrate a try, though I messed up and put sand on top. My plants all seem to be doing fine, except for growing slowly due to the low WPG of light.

I have a south american puffer I recently put in-- it didn't eat for two weeks and I was convinced was going to die before it finally started wolfing down blood worms. I bought it to control the pond snail population as I wanted to try the puffer (which supposedly is a non-agressive kind) before using a clown loach. Unfortunately, he is not eating any snails! Anybody have any advice on how to get them to start eating snails?

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the tip about the chain sword. I have planted some dwarf hairgrass that I want to use as a ground cover at the front. With my low light it will take a long time to cover all the bare sand. Yeah I hate the bare look too though I plan on leaving a few small patches of sand just for interest.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.