The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I bought a fluval spec nano to house a small fish but figured I would like to have real plants as decoration instead of fake ones.

I bought something from petsmart (no clue what, it was in a small package) and planted it in some gravel I had. I kept the fluval light on during the day only.

After two weeks, I felt like the plants were starting to "melt". The bottom part of the plant seemed to be disintegrating. I threw them out.

What was i suppose to be doing that I was not doing?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would normally ask what the specs on your tank are in this situation, but the answer to your question short and sweet is that you bought a packaged plant from petsmart. The pre packaged plants the sell are grown out of water, so submerging them usually leads to exactly what you described.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
PetSmart has some new plants they are carrying in my area that are sweet. Much better than that other garbage in the round tube too. I have a Telanthera plant that is almost a foot and half tall now that was three inches tall when I got it. Also a bunch of dwarf hairgrass that is a forest in another tank so don't be so quick about knocking plants at PetSmart.

Plant melt is not uncommon when you relocate them into a new environment. Give them time to adjust to the new conditions and most of the time they will bounce back after they become acclimated. If I threw out every crypt that melted in one of my tanks.. oh boy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.