The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello each.

I just joined this forum a few days ago after setting up my first tropical freshwater aquarium in probably over thirty years. It's only a simple 60L aquarium as thats all the room I have in my new apartment. I used to have eight tropical aquariums years ago, but now being back on dialysis, I can only manage one and small at that.

Whilst I do remember quite a bit about it, I have just stuck one of those LCD stick-on thermometers on the front of the tank and it's showing blue 79/26 and brown 81/27. It does not go over either above that or lower than that and stays constant all the time, except just drops a very small amount in the evenings and at night when the heating is off. I left the heater/thermostat as it was set, straight out of the box. Is this temperature OK or is it a little to high please?

From what I can remember, I believe it is OK, but my memory is not what it was (it's an age thing) and I got rid of all my tropical aquarium books many years ago. Many thanks in advance if you can advice?

Cheers!
Mike
UK

·
Super Moderator
12,131 Posts
This likely means that your temperature is ~80 F, which is likely fine.

Do keep in mind that the LCD stick on type thermometers are inaccurate and more often than not, measure the ambient room temperature rather than the temperature of the water.

Welcome back to the hobby though!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello and many thanks for your advice.

So what type of thermometer should I be looking for then?

The glass one with the small rubber sucker on the top and mercury (or whatever) inside? Do they give better and more accurate readings.

Thank you.

Regards
Mike

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
The glass one with the small rubber sucker on the top and mercury (or whatever) inside? Do they give better and more accurate readings.
Yes, they do giver better and more accurate readings. Welcome to TPT!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Honestly, I personally haven't used a dedicated Aquarium Thermometer in many years not. Whenever I want to check I run to the kitchen and grab the digital probe thermometer we use for cooking a roast. It seems more accurate w/ less tank clutter.

Heck if I were to want a dedicated thermometer I'd probably buy another kitchen one as the stainless steel probe is more attractive than the mercury ones anyway.

·
Super Moderator
12,131 Posts
So what type of thermometer should I be looking for then?

Definitely, the cheap, floating type thermometers with the red alcohol inside them provide more accurate readings.

Honestly, I personally haven't used a dedicated Aquarium Thermometer in many years not. Whenever I want to check I run to the kitchen and grab the digital probe thermometer we use for cooking a roast. It seems more accurate w/ less tank clutter.
Using the same thermometer for roast and the aquarium. Yum! :flick:

Heck if I were to want a dedicated thermometer I'd probably buy another kitchen one as the stainless steel probe is more attractive than the mercury ones anyway.
Most are now dyed alcohol thermometers, not mercury.

·
Registered
712 Posts
here a story about my recent thermometer experience... i've been using the same small el cheapo floating glass thermometers for ages, and put them against the back corner where they generally stay. recently, i decided to buy a handful of thermometers for some other tanks. when i was shopping for them i noticed they made two kinds - floating and one with suction cup. They basically look identical, except one comes with a suction cup, and are the same price. I thought if they are the same price but one comes with a suction cup, i'll buy those ones. well, as it turns out the ones with suction cups don't actually float in the correct orientation since they don't have enough mass at the bottom. they tend to float sideways and require the suction cup to hold them in the vertical orientation. how difficult is it to put enough shot in the bottom so they float vertically? maybe it's just poor quality control? i eventually ended up buying the floating kind which work great. i'm a happy camper again.

regarding the accuracy of the thermometer, measurement devices are only as good as their calibrations. i'm sure most are good enough for our intended purpose. gross measurement is generally what is needed. does it really matter if the temperature is 79.5 vs 80.2?

i've used the stick-on thermometer things. they work ok. i think conduction is more efficient than convection, so it will more likely give the temp of the tank rather than the ambient air. if you notice the breeders challenge in the latest issue of TFH, you'll notice a bunch of Mike Hellweg's tanks are outfitted with the sticky thermometers. i'm sure if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for most.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Do keep in mind that the LCD stick on type thermometers are inaccurate and more often than not, measure the ambient room temperature rather than the temperature of the water.
i've used the stick-on thermometer things. they work ok. i think conduction is more efficient than convection, so it will more likely give the temp of the tank rather than the ambient air. if you notice the breeders challenge in the latest issue of TFH, you'll notice a bunch of Mike Hellweg's tanks are outfitted with the sticky thermometers. i'm sure if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for most.
While I agree Darkblade that they are not the MOST accurate, I have to agree with snafu that they probably work "well enough" and are more likely measuring the approximate tank temp and not the air temp. I have them on most of my tanks because i find it easier to see whether the temp is in range "at-a-glance" and I know that at least mine are definitely not measuring the air temp since I keep my home pretty cool (we only set the heat to about 64-66 in winter) and my LCD stick-ons tell me that my tank is around 75 and my house is definitely NOT that warm ;)

Anyway Mickelmass if you already have one, I'd say it's probably going to do you well enough, it will alert you if the tank is far too hot or cold, which, in the end, is really the important part. To each is own though, if you'd prefer to get the other kind, it certainly isn't going to hurt anything ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Whoops! I seem to have started a bit of a fracas here? LOL! I will stick with the LCD stick-on ones for now as many years ago, they were the only ones I did use.

However, saying that I have just seen on eBay UK that one of the tropical fish shops is selling battery operated digital ones (just to add inslult to injury). I didn't even know they existed for aquaria until now? They do seem to be a tad on the bulky side though and in grey (or is it gray?) plastic. OK, I suppose that if you have a huge tank, it could get lost in behind plants etc? Unfortunately, I don't :frown:

I also ordered some plants the other day for a reliable shop on eBay UK as well. I have never done that before but the crap that I see in most of the aquarium shops beggers belief! Tatty, stringy, putrid old rubbish! But at least I get a better choice of plants on eBay as opposed to the high street shops and there stricktly Elodea densa, Cabomba carolina (not a red cabomba in sight where I live and three aquariums shops to boot!), Vallis and Amazon Sword. Well whoop-de-doo, ain't they exciting - NOT! LOL!

Many thanks again guys. I may be asking for more help later if thats OK? :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.