The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and have found so much great info. I have a 55 gallon tank and have recently had an outbreak of algae. Green fuzzy stuff that's about 1/4" long. In researching what it is, I found info that said that DIY (i use the nutrafin co2 kit) wasn't the best for heavily planted tanks with high output lighting. Should I get a second nutrafin kit or go with a pressurized system. I like easy, so I am a bit intimidated by the thought of a pressurized system. But, if I have to, I have to. Thanks in advance!

Kerry

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Nutrafin is a waste of money IMO. It's the exact same thing as DIY yeast co2 which only costs about 5 dollars for a years supply.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
plug and play or build your own?

so if DIY is not the way to go, what are my options? Is it possible for a non technical person to build a pressurized unit from scratch? Are there plug and play systems that are worth the money and user friendly? This honestly freaks me out. It seems like an overwhelming task. I've tried to research and I don't even know the technical terms to use to do a search. :confused: Thanks in advance for all the help everyone.

Kerry

·
Registered
745 Posts
4 things you need...

1. regulator -can be crazy expensive system ($300+) that is incredibly reliable and is more "set and forget" or can be cheaper system (<$100) that works and needs to be adjusted at least weekly

2. co2 tank -self explanatory...5,10,20# CO2 tank (costs of refills is usually within $5 and difference can be months--> years before you need a refill -my recommendation is get the biggest you can afford and fit into your display) (~$100)

3. method of diffusing CO2 into tank -can be diffusers (crap), atomizers (very good), reactors (IMO, the best) ($5-$40)

4. drop checker -easiest means to estimate amount of CO2 in your tank (~$10)

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
DIY yeast CO2 is fine until you can afford a pressurized setup. I used two 1 gallon jugs at the same time and renewed each one every other week. The bubble count was relatively stable, but not nearly as good as my pressurized system that I put together with some advice from Betatail and other CO2 system builders who build these for members here. Look in the Sponsors And Power Seller Specials and Swap n Shop sections and keep asking questions.

It took me 3 months to slowly save, acquire all the parts and build for $300 for a top notch complete system including the dual stage regulator, solenoid valve, needle valve, check valve, bubble counter, inline Cerges' reactor and 20 lb full aluminum CO2 tank.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
4 things you need...

1. regulator -can be crazy expensive system ($300+) that is incredibly reliable and is more "set and forget" or can be cheaper system (<$100) that works and needs to be adjusted at least weekly

2. co2 tank -self explanatory...5,10,20# CO2 tank (costs of refills is usually within $5 and difference can be months--> years before you need a refill -my recommendation is get the biggest you can afford and fit into your display) (~$100)

3. method of diffusing CO2 into tank -can be diffusers (crap), atomizers (very good), reactors (IMO, the best) ($5-$40)

4. drop checker -easiest means to estimate amount of CO2 in your tank (~$10)
This is a good list to breakdown what you need for pressurized. I only disagree with one thing and that is you can't get a reliable regulator/needle valve for a good price. Lot's of people run the Aquatek setups and love them. I personally run the AZOO setups and never have to adjust my flow. The Aquatek regulator is $65 shipped on ebay and the AZOO regulators are $90-110 depending where you get it.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Got my Victor VTS 450D dual stage heavy duty regulator for $55 shipped off E-bay.
The Post body parts: Solenoid, needle valve, check valve, bubble counter, misc brass connectors etc $110.
DIY Cerges' reactor $35.

·
Registered
217 Posts
DIY is an option and can be fun at first trying to do the yeast mixture thing, but in the end you will find yourself where I am(looking for a pressurized setup) The yeast thing and the paintball setup will work if you are adjusting all the time and someday you will find a system that could be consistent but not after a lot of time and tinkering. Since you are saying you want something hassle free....Then what these folks have already said about going pressurized is your only option.
Do you have a budget?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
This is a good list to breakdown what you need for pressurized. I only disagree with one thing and that is you can't get a reliable regulator/needle valve for a good price. Lot's of people run the Aquatek setups and love them. I personally run the AZOO setups and never have to adjust my flow. The Aquatek regulator is $65 shipped on ebay and the AZOO regulators are $90-110 depending where you get it.
I use a milwaukee...dual stage is always better than single....but cost more money

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everybody for all the help! Was a super busy weekend so it will take me some time to process this all. Ebay is my main supplier for such things so I'll be looking there first. Thanks again! You guys are making this MUCH less intimidating!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
brand names....

victor, concoa, airgas, air products, matheson, harris, linde, union carbide, airco

brands aren't super important, just make sure it is dual stage, you can tell by if it has a big hump on the back just like the front. some regulators will not even say the brand that made it because they are re-branded by a retail company that sells them. This is true for a lot of victors, they will be labeled GPT***, HPT***, or VTS***

And I sell post body kits

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.