The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've got lots of questions.

I'm wanting to start up an iwagumi style tank, yet I don't know where to start. I come from a long history with reef tanks so hopefully trying out an iwagumi tank won't be too hard?

Heres some of the equipment I have...Can I use them for it?

-46 Gallon bow front
-Tek T5 4x39W
-Filtration(Fluval305, Wet/Dry, HOB biowheel) I got them all, which would be better?

So from my short readings around here it looks like people use power sand with a combination of aquasoil?

Seiryu rock...is this the rock that you should use for this type of tank?

Thanks in advance.

PS here is my reef tank right now : 125 gallon 7 years running

·
Registered
429 Posts
So from my short readings around here it looks like people use power sand with a combination of aquasoil?
Substrate is really down to personal preference, with some consideration toward what kind of plants you want. People have and do run these style tanks with anything from aquasoil, eco-complete, flourite, and even, although less commonly, stuff like pool filter sand, etc.

Seiryu rock...is this the rock that you should use for this type of tank?
No, at least not in my view. There are plenty of articles you can look up that talk about the principles of Japanese rock gardening, I would say in general you can stick with these principles and still have a successful tank in this style. The question is how rigidly you want to define 'iwagumi,' or perhaps, how strict you want to be in sticking to a rigid version of this style.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
No matter how experienced you are with reefs (and believe me, the experience DOES transfer over to fw planted tanks!), Iwagumi's are tough to balance. That's not to suggest you should abandon your plans, though. Just make sure you read all those links that were posted above, and be prepared for a bit of a challenge. Otherwise, if you go into the project all over-confident, it might dissuade you from persisting until you get it right!

The best advice I can give you, based on personal (failed) experiments, and also based on other people's advice, is two things: Either grow your carpet plants first, before filling the tank with water, so that the plants will fill out in their emersed form. Or, if you fill it with water from the beginning, throw a bunch of floating plants in there to soak up nutrients and diffuse the light.

An improperly planned/executed iwagumi setup can quickly become an algae farm.

But go for it, for sure! I love the zen calmness that comes from a good iwagumi tank. Make sure you post pictures!

·
Registered
120 Posts
church is right, your experience will transfer over.

as far as advice for an iwagumi, other than what has been said, take your time in finding the right stones.

seiryu is nice for an iwagumi, but there are plenty of other stones that look just as good. My personal favorite is manten.

but good luck and nice reef setup btw

side note, im curious as to how an iwagumi would look with a bowfront. will the curve drastically magnify the appearance of the stones?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts