The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I set up my very 1st tank (a 4L or 1 gallon, flower vase) Sep 21, introduced shrimps on the 23rd Sep. I bought 6 and in the container I place them to “drip acclimate”? them I lost immediately 2 one of them was pregnant.
So I put 3 in my Flower vase tank, they were very hectic so I keep 1 last pregnant in the temporary container, she died this morning.
I read the egg can be save so I did this ni not sure if the water flow is to fast or to slow, or is this is actually going to work 🤦🏾‍♀️
can I add a video?
Plant Drinkware Liquid Water Fluid

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum! I'm new to keeping shrimp too but not an absolute beginner. My cherry shrimp tank is 20 L and I've had the cherry shrimp in there for 3 months. I use an air pump for aeration. I know some people have used smaller tanks like yours but it can be harder to manage a smaller tank. I'm not familiar with saving eggs from dead shrimp, as my shrimp haven't had eggs yet.I did find my first dead shrimp last night so I'm still looking into the cause for that. I love your aquascape it looks great! In terms of the shrimp going crazy at the start, they love to explore their new home. They've done this in all three shrimp tanks I've had. They might be a bit stressed about arriving but it's not a worrying sign. It's possible that they did not arrive in good health given the deaths you had. I think the easiest way to share a video might be to upload it to YouTube, I don't think I've seen any videos in this forum except on YouTube.

Have you done any water testing? Please share any results that you have.

EDIT: after reading the post below I realised that I may have missed reading your dates correctly. Cycling can take 1-2 months before it's safe to add your shrimp into a tank.

·
Administrator
17,883 Posts
I set up my very 1st tank (a 4L or 1 gallon, flower vase) Sep 21, introduced shrimps on the 23rd Sep. I bought 6 and in the container I place them to “drip acclimate”? them I lost immediately 2
You didn't cycle your tank. This is likely why your shrimp died.

How did you treat the water? Did you use Seachem Prime?

What are your water parameters?

Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Temperature
pH
kH
gH

All of those.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi @richard.hayward.melb thanks for your reply.
I did not cycle it and you are right then should be expecting more losses 😭. My boss got me interested in Aquascaping and we set up a tiny fish bowl where he put like 15 shrimps, about 6 adults and the rest tiny babies. So far only one of those tiny babies has survived (I feel bad for him only 5 snails making him company).
I noticed a couple of hours ago that the container tank have 2 super tiny shrimps. Now I don’t know if I should transfer them to the “tank”?
Here’s is the link to the video of my vase and the experiment of saving the eggs.

Thanks and greetings from 🇵🇦!

·
Registered
274 Posts
I did not cycle it and you are right then should be expecting more losses 😭. My boss got me interested in Aquascaping and we set up a tiny fish bowl where he put like 15 shrimps, about 6 adults and the rest tiny babies. So far only one of those tiny babies has survived (I feel bad for him only 5 snails making him company).
I noticed a couple of hours ago that the container tank have 2 super tiny shrimps. Now I don’t know if I should transfer them to the “tank”?
Here’s is the link to the video of my vase and the experiment of saving the eggs.

Thank you and hello there in Panama!

Your video looks great! I really enjoyed it. Your animals look very healthy and happy. The shrimp doing their happy feet dance is what you want to see, it means they have food to eat. I'm sorry I don't know anything about caring for shrimplets.

I have posted some suggestions in response to your other question, so I won't add anything more here. Except to say that expect your aquascape to change: dirt might accumulate, there might be dead leaves, or your plants might grow too much. You should react to those events and jump in to do some maintenance when that happens.

Again, your aquascape looks great and I think your animals are doing well.

·
Administrator
17,883 Posts

I'll actually need you to answer questions about the parameters of your tank/vase. Could you do that? Not asking to be difficult but because you need to know and understand your water parameters if you want to keep shrimp. If you can't, there's no way to determine why your shrimp (plural, one S) are dying.

What are your water parameters?

Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Temperature
pH
kH
gH

All of those.

You know you didn't cycle the tank, so no, you should not be putting shrimp into it. Not until the tank is cycled. Shrimp are incredibly sensitive to ammonia, nitrite and high levels of nitrate.

Click here for a good primer on the fishless cycle. Until you cycle your tank, you should not be adding any living creature. But also obtain a test kit and share your water parameters.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts