The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there everyone! I'm new to the forum and this is my first post, I was just hoping to get some clarification and advice!

I'm setting up a Fluval 5 gallon (Built in filter) and was hoping to try out shrimp that weren't Amano's lol! I've purchased Amano's from a reputable LFS in my area, and other than a DOA on my fist Amano purchase I've had no deaths under my care, I currently own seven. One for cleanup in a 10 gallon and the other six are in a 33 gallon. The store have other Neocaridina shrimp for sale and I'd love to have some Orange Pumpkin shrimp in the 5 gallon.

-

My parameters currently are:
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm (The tank is cycled because I've seen Nitrate levels when there were no Ammonia and Nitrite. I've just done some recent water changes to keep some algae under control. So despite todays levels the tank has indeed cycled, I've monitored it closely)
PH: 8.0
GH: 8 (143.2 ppm)
KH: 6 (107.4 ppm)

-

Here are my questions:

1. Are my PH/KH/GH parameters safe for Pumpkins? Because from what I read through various forums/threads that almost any levels can be safe as long as they're consistent.

2. How many Pumpkins should I purchase at once for a 5 gallon

3. Can I keep a least 2-3 Amanos with the Pumpkins (because Amano's have proven to be veracious algae eaters and I like having at least 1 in my tanks)

4. I plan to have this be a planted tank (I have success with growing Lobelia and Ambulia in my water). I'd want to add the shrimp first, or at least the Amano's first to prevent any algae from overtaking the plants as they grow, and I have added Amano shrimp before plants but I wanted to ensure the pumpkins could be added before the plants as well?

5. If I wait long enough for there to be enough cover from the plants, would adding 3 male guppies to the tank be safe? I've heard they can eat shrimp, but I feel like I'd have better luck with them and shrimp rather than a betta (which was the fish I originally wanted to add).

-

If there was something I failed to read or things I needed to add in an initial post, my apologies if I missed it. If there is any additional information needed please let me know! I'm open to any/all advice!

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
1.) They are neos. Yes.

2.) ~10 is recommended for any setup so you have the best chance of males and females - preferably juvies over adults

3.) Yes

4.) More plants/decorations could mean more biofilm/surface areas for the shrimp.Short answer is yes, but why not do plants first, then shrimp shortly after?

5.) Could... but hit or miss if the guppies will go afte the shrimp. They might leave adults alone but babies could be easy prey.

Has the tank been set up for a month or more?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1.) They are neos. Yes.

2.) ~10 is recommended for any setup so you have the best chance of males and females - preferably juvies over adults

3.) Yes

4.) More plants/decorations could mean more biofilm/surface areas for the shrimp.Short answer is yes, but why not do plants first, then shrimp shortly after?

5.) Could... but hit or miss if the guppies will go afte the shrimp. They might leave adults alone but babies could be easy prey.

To answer #4:
-There's already driftwood in the 5 gallon with some nutritious fungus, as well as algae growing on the substrate and driftwood as well, so I'd assume that's already some biofilm surface for them to munch on. I'd just hate to see this algae take over the small plants I plan to add and choke them out when that can be prevented with at least the Amano's (That's what I did in the 33 gallon and no algae ever touched the plants because of the Amano's so everything's healthy). I'd obviously try and prevent the algae being a problem as much as I can on my own but the Amano's are just a nice preventative measure in my experience with them.

And about the Guppies I agree. I feel like it would be better to be safe than sorry, so for right now I'll plan for a shrimp only tank!

Thanks for answering all of my questions, helps a lot! (y)

1.) They are neos. Yes.

3.) Yes

Oh and sorry forgot to add this part: The tank has been cycling/set up since the 9th of April! So yes exactly a month today lol

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Only concern about adding shrimp first then plants is that you'd stir up the substrate if you are putting any of it into the substrate, but you would probably be fine either way.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Like in this picture, you can add plants first, snails then, and shrimp later like I always do and recommend...but who am I? You can try any way you desire. I always regret adding fauna before flora because it creates a mess and can possibly stress out the shrimps.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Like in this picture, you can add plants first, snails then, and shrimp later like I always do and recommend...but who am I? You can try any way you desire. I always regret adding fauna before flora because it creates a mess and can possibly stress out the shrimps.

Oh I didn't realize it could stress them out (like I know disturbing a large amount of substrate and putting most of it in the water body would be stressful, but I was pretty clean at doing it in the 33 when planting in there). I'm using a deep sand bed in both the 33 and the 5 gallon so I stir up the sand a little bit whenever I do a water change and surface vacuum it, just to ensure no gases are forming underneath the sand. So in the 5 gallon, sand will be gently stirred around with tongs every once in a while regardless when I plant. Granted though I realize stirred up substrate is less bothersome to creatures in 33 gallons of water rather than 5 gallons lol

Btw your tank looks lovely!!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Oh I didn't realize it could stress them out (like I know disturbing a large amount of substrate and putting most of it in the water body would be stressful, but I was pretty clean at doing it in the 33 when planting in there). I'm using a deep sand bed in both the 33 and the 5 gallon so I stir up the sand a little bit whenever I do a water change and surface vacuum it, just to ensure no gases are forming underneath the sand. So in the 5 gallon, sand will be gently stirred around with tongs every once in a while regardless when I plant. Granted though I realize stirred up substrate is less bothersome to creatures in 33 gallons of water rather than 5 gallons lol

Btw your tank looks lovely!!
I agree with everything. I had in mind that you would scape, plant, and organize your tank after the shrimp introduction.

The introduction of new plants is always tricky for me because I'm never satisfied with the purpose of its location and always keep changing stuff. The planning/waiting/adding method is like a ritual for me, so I got stuck with that idea that works for me.

Btw, that is a 2.5g... If I move things with one finger looks like a tornado and an earthquake hit the place after a meteor strike lmao.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with everything. I had in mind that you would scape, plant, and organize your tank after the shrimp introduction.

The introduction of new plants is always tricky for me because I'm never satisfied with the purpose of its location and always keep changing stuff. The planning/waiting/adding method is like a ritual for me, so I got stuck with that idea that works for me.

Btw, that is a 2.5g... If I move things with one finger looks like a tornado and an earthquake hit the place after a meteor strike lmao.

Glad to hear my general plan sounds good! Looks like I'll be ordering 10 Pumpkin shrimp and 3 amano's in the next few days! :) Very excited to get started, hopefully the Pumpkins decide to breed!

Omg my 5 gallon can get a bit chaotic when I put my hands in to work, I can't begin to image how delicate you'd have to be with a 2.5 gallon lol That's amazing tho!!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Glad to hear my general plan sounds good! Looks like I'll be ordering 10 Pumpkin shrimp and 3 amano's in the next few days! :) Very excited to get started, hopefully the Pumpkins decide to breed!

Omg my 5 gallon can get a bit chaotic when I put my hands in to work, I can't begin to image how delicate you'd have to be with a 2.5 gallon lol That's amazing tho!!
How long have u waited for the tank to be stable?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Like how long it's been since I started the cycle? I started it on April 9th.
Nice, I usually take around a month or 2 before adding animals, but I add snails since day 3 or 4 because I have breeding snail tanks, so I use them to check parameters and life sustainability.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts