The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys! i've been a long-time lurker in this forum, but it came to me this problem, I can't resist on registering.

First, I'm new to planted aquariums but an old-timer to fish-only aquarium. Not until recently I put-up my very first planted aquarium (20 gallons) and stocked with 6 tiger barbs, 4 platys and a pleco. I "tested" cabomba carol... as my plant (as I heard it's a hardy plant) planted it in the background in 4 groups.

To further visualize my setup (since I can't upload pics at the moment), I installed a 15w powerhead with run-through-filter on top of the aquarium case with a built-in led lights on the powerhead, with no aquarium lights -using the terrace lights in the evening and some sunlight in the morning (not direct). I know this setup is soooo cheap since that's the only filter we got here in our place. Also got a common gravel (white) and a "nemo" aquarium decor. No CO2 and other high tech stuff.

The first is without the plants -fish only-, i got a clear water. by the 3rd week with plants planted (cabomba), I got this cloudy-green water. I thought it was just the green of the cabomba, or is it algae in attack?

I'll post pics very soon. For now, can someone enlightened me why I have this cloudy-green water? Any suggestions on what I have to do? As I'm near frustration in my first planted aquarium (I don't want to go back to fish-only setup).

Thanks and hello to all again.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi and thanks for the quick reply tbone...

I'll further read and google it. but would like to hear from anyone who experienced it...

thanks again. I'll post some update soon.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
a UV sterilizer can wipe out green water. Still need to deal with the initial cause so it doesn't keep happening, but UV can get you over the hump quickly. Also comes in handy to "cleanup" tank water on occasion.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I've created it by haviing too long a photoperiod more than once. Even just from summer sunlight shining in the windows.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I did a 90% water change, clean my canisters and solve the green water issue at the expense of 9 cardinal tetras which I just couldn't get them to my temporary tank.:( It's been about 2 weeks, so far so good.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks to all replies.

Yesterday was a day off, and I took a 100% water change and rinse the plants properly (eh slimy) before re-planting. as of writing, water stays clear. I'm monitoring if the green water will come back soon and will apply suggestions posted.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
I have found that water changes haven't done much for green water. It will come back if there are still spores. Not always the case, it just didn't do much for me.

Waiting it out works but puts your tank on hold for awhile.

What works quick is a UV sterilizer. It is a nice to have outside of green water. Purigen works as well, assuming the media is not saturated. Both have benifits that I find to be positive outside of green water.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have found that water changes haven't done much for green water. It will come back if there are still spores. Not always the case, it just didn't do much for me.

Waiting it out works but puts your tank on hold for awhile.

What works quick is a UV sterilizer. It is a nice to have outside of green water. Purigen works as well, assuming the media is not saturated. Both have benifits that I find to be positive outside of green water.
hi talontsiawd. sorry but what do you mean by "waiting it out works but puts your tank on hold for awhile"?

I'll check if there are any available UV sterilizers in here that's cheap! and yes, I'm in a very tight budget :(

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just a quick update, GW seems to be nowhere atm. water stays clear. added a couple of tiger barbs.

thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts