The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

My name is Adam and I am located in Orange, CA (Southern Cali).

Yesterday I purchased my first 30 gallon/stand and somewhat went to town.

**You will have to forgive me. I am at work, and as a newbie I don't remember the brands of the products I bought...As soon as I return home I shall let you in on more info of the tank and my goodies.

I went with black sand/soil because personally I just think it looks good. Set it up last night with that little incline on the left side.

Basically gonna clean up the gook and then filler up with nice clean water.

Dont worry. Im not keep that giant filter in the backround. Gonna go with the "tubes".

Will be sure to keep you all updates with step by step pics on turning this 30GAL into one helluvah forest :)

**forgive me. Only camera I have at this time is on my cell phone heh..

And so it begins...

Cheers,
Adam

·
Registered
40 Posts
hey, welcome (although i'm a total newbie myself) to the forums.

my only advise i can give you at the moment is to read, read, read, and read. if you have a question, the search at the top works really well and has saved me from posting redundant questions.

does your light fixture have actinic bulbs in it, or is it just your camera?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
does your light fixture have actinic bulbs in it, or is it just your camera?

Thanks for the welcome.

Not sure the brands Just know it ran me about $130.00USD heh.

Yes, there are two 65w's in there. One standard, the other "bluish" actinic towards the front.

Got the bigger lamp setup (130w) due to the 30 GAL and the fact that i'll be rocking quite a nice amount of plants in this tank.

As for the fish...well.....they'll get a nice tan :)

·
Registered
3,254 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Reason he asks is that the actinics are not very useful in growing plants, and often we tell salt-water convertees that they should switch out the actinics for more white light. On the other hand, in this case your 1 65w white light would be enough on its own to grow most plants, so you might opt not to get another while bulb at all, and just run the tank at medium light (which is good).

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fresh Newby,

Thanks for the link. I'll be sure to read that on my boring 10 hour day at work today :)

Steven,

Then I guess its a good thing I have two switches for my lights huh heh. The lamp setup comes like that. So its probably intended for fresh and salt without having to change a thing. But if it comes down to it, i get lights for free. So changing out the actinics isn't an issue.

Thanks for the welcomes and i'll keep you updated.

Cheers.
Adam

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Adam,

Welcome to TPT. Take the black sand back to the store. =P

From here on, stop buying anything and go read first.

1) 130 watts over a 30 gallon tank = 4.3 WPG = algae without CO2
2) Black sand/gravel = inert epoxy-covered stuff it looks like = no nutrients
3) See your filter? The Bio-Wheels? They'll outgas your CO2 if you try any injection methods.
4) SCAPE sign up! =) We have a plant group buy we're gonna be placing soon if you want in.

Good luck!

-Nick

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Adam,

3) See your filter? The Bio-Wheels? They'll outgas your CO2 if you try any injection methods.
4) SCAPE sign up! =) We have a plant group buy we're gonna be placing soon if you want in.

Good luck!

-Nick
Thanks for the welcome Nick.

1) CO2 goes in a few days from now
2) Nice amount of soil under that black sand (not done yet with the floor. Just a light layer of sand..more flooring soon)
3) Like i said above. That filter is going back today. going with tubes to avoid splashing over the top of the tank **aka canceling out the CO2 bubbles from splashes**
4) Sure will. Thanks!

Only reason why I filled that tank like it is now was to set the soil and sand in place. wasn't able to fit 6 giant bottles of *THE GOOD STUFF WATER* in my car after buying all this.

scooping out the left overs than putting in the filtered water tonight. let it cycle than start creating from there.

thats my plan.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Nick...what type of "soil" is it?

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Epic,
How the heck do you return wet sand to the store? LOL

chaz

Adam,

Good luck!

-Nick

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well. Got everything I needed to get the tank going last night. Im not done yet. Probably gonna be getting a few more plants as soon as they come in (and as soon as I get my paycheck heh) as well as 3 DISCUS from a friend, 2-3 shrimps, prob 2 pudgnose(?) and some schooling fish.

What I added besides the sand, soil, and plants:

1) EHEIM 2213 Canister
2) JBJ 24" FORMOSA-DX (2x 10k daylight 65w)
3) The usual CO2 w/ counter & extras (seen on right side of tank)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you keep them on a descent diet and dont starve them. Im sure the shrimp will be in some what of a safe tank. Gotta make sure they have a descent place to hide too.

Anyone else have their .02cents on this discus/shrimp combo? Same with Cardinal Tetras..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts