The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends,

This is my first venture into plantedtank.net .. Am Abhishek , originally from India but have settled in Minneapolis for the last 4 years.
Have been into aquascaping with low tech planted tank around 8 years back in India which seems like ages ago :).

Have been into reefs and sps after that before I moved to USA where I had to give up my hobby on account of family and finance .. Now that I have some time and some saved money, want to venture back into the amazing world of aquascaping.

Being mostly into reefs , I hardly have much of idea about high tech aquascaping.

So I joined this forum to plan my future plant ..

1. The plan is to have a 36 in x 24 in (W) x 15 in tank - shallow tank .
2. Substrate choice are - ADA Amazonia, ADA Power Sand, Penac P,W, Tourmaline BC , Bacter 100 and ADA Clear Super

3. Pressurized CO2 with Do Aqua CO2 Music Glass Diffuser, Do Aqua Music Bubble Counter , ADA Drop Checker , Archaea CO2 regulator Pro and a 20 lb cylinder .

4. Fertilizers -

Macro - KNO3,KH2PO4, K2SO4
Micro - CSM + B and iron chelate + GH Booster , CaSO4 and MgSO4.

5. RO/DI system used for reefing - 5 stage RO producing 0 TDS water ..

6. Plants in mind -= HC Cuba , alternanthera reineckii mini , pogostemon helferi, staurogyne repens and anubias sp.

7. Filteration - Eihem 2217

Now the questions :-

1. In Reef , we use absolute 0 TDS water if you wanna have any success with sps. What do you guys propose for planted tank ? I can very well generate 0 TDS water but is it advisable or should I mix with tap water ? If so, what TDS egenrally RO users aim for

2. Being sps keeper, the gold standard has always been Metal Halide with T5. Leds have come a long way but still doesn't cut into serious sps husbandry. I used the famous Radium with ATI T5s.

Now this combination produced par of way over 150-200 at a depth of 18 inch which is way more than any planted tank would need.

So, asking you guys - whats the gold standard of high tech planted tank ? Is it led ? If so, which ones do you suggest ?

3. What kind of fertilizers do you guys use for high tech planted tanks ? Is the above list of macro and micro sounds ok ?

4. What test kits do you use before dosing ferts ?

5. Does the Archaea CO2 regulator Pro sound as a good regulator ? If not, what else do you suggest ?

6. What kind of filteration do you use - Planning for an Eihem 2217 with ADA BIO-RIO and Seachem Purigen but want to know your ideas of filter media ..

Sorry for so many questions as I wanna ask as much as possible before commiting to it ..

Regards,
Abhishek

·
Registered
745 Posts
1. With 0 TDS water you will have u to add everything your plants need. Looking at your ferts it'll be OK. Personally I don't like mixing RO with tap, but it's a way too.
2. Many people use normal T
5 light with 6500K or 8500K bulbs, something around 1W/liter and you can have any plant.
3. The list sound just right.
4. The absolute minimum is KH, pH, NO3, NO2, if you want to be precise with ferts: PO4, Fe and maybe K, Mg.
5. Don't know ;-)
6. I'm using normal ceramic (noname), but sera siporax is known to be great. Purigen is a nice addition to too. Add some sponge on the inflow (or prefilter). This way you won't have to open canister so frequently.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Hi friends,

So I joined this forum to plan my future plant ..

2. Substrate choice are - ADA Amazonia, ADA Power Sand, Penac P,W, Tourmaline BC , Bacter 100 and ADA Clear Super

Generally I like your equipment selections and so on. However, Think carefully before you use ADA Amazonia and ADA Power Sand. I used this combo when I set up my 90 gal tank as a high tech planted tank. Here is a summary of my experience.

The ADA Amazonia and ADA Power Sand really did grow plants well, and initially it looked fantastic.

After a few months, the soil like coating on the Amazonia came off the inner core. This made the tank look especially ugly, as far as the substrate went. The product was kind of like a small malted milk ball, dark coating over a light colored center.

I ended up replacing the entir substrate with Eco-complete. Of course this meant a complete tear down of the tank. As a note, I did this because the substrate looked so ugly, not because I had any special problem with the system.

You'll also see that ADA Amazonia and ADA Power Sand are very expensive. I spent close to $250 on them for my tank. To be fair, the vendor claims that they no longer have the problem with the Amazonia soil coating coming off. This may be true, but I just can't bring myself to try it again.

I will also add that a lot of other people have used ADA Amazonia and ADA Power Sand and really like it. If I were doing this all over again, I'd go with the Eco-Complete again, or a dirted tank, mineralized mud capped with typical aquarium gravel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.