The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
I started my first planted tank 4 weeks ago.
55 gallon
soilmaster and onyx sand substrate
CO2
2 56 watt corallife T5

When I first set it up I just put everything in, not really sure where it should go. This is what it looked like then.

After seeing some of the great aquascapes out there I wanted to do better. Yesterday I rescaped it and this is what I ended up with. All advice and critiques are welcome.

Full view

Left side

Right side

·
Registered
889 Posts
Wow, I really like the rescape you did! It looks great, and I love the substrate on the right side, with the white sand ;)

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
nice improvement.

may i suggest putting your hardware on the tank sides? I hate to see a nice layout ruined by plastic. you can put the hagen ladder hidden behind the driftwood. I think you'll get better water flow with the spraybar on the size, and it is less visible.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I like it alot. Great driftwood...did you get it from Preuss?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Mixing soilmaster and onyx sand. Could you tell us why you did this? I know a little bit about Onyx sand but not very much about the soilmaster.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi All
Thanks for all the replies
macclellan I am planning on upgrading to a 75 with in the next year and was going to do just as you suggested with the hardware. It wont fit that way in the 55 and I don’t want to cut it.

esarkipato yes the drift wood came from preusses

wingsdlc The way it was explained to me was the soilmaster will lower the KH and the onyx sand helps raise the KH. They help balance each other.

Earl

1 - 7 of 7 Posts