The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never kept a planted tank but i'm starting one. I bought this used 37 gallon reef tank (30 x 12 x 22) and stand/canopy it has two compact flourence 55 watt lights with reflectors one is 10000K and the other is actinic.

I will replace the actinic blub, but with what? another 10000k or a 6700K or use both 6700k or something else?

Is this enough light to grow ground cover 20" down? I want to grow some of that hair stuff. Will I be able to keep and grow just about anything?

I will use a DIY Co2 setup and as well. Until I can make the jump to a system.

Is it recomended to put glass tops on the tank? Does it matter. I will eventullay have angelfish, neons, and some ottos. Water evaporates like crazy in AZ.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I recommend that you start looking for an inexpensive pressurized CO2 system before setting up that tank. You might find one on the swap n shop forum here, on Craigslist, on Ebay, or through your local aquatic plants club, if there is one. DIY CO2 isn't going to do a lot of good for that size tank, and CO2 is the most important nutrient for aquatic plants.

Any tank that has been successfully used for a reef tank will have too much light for a planted tank, and this is no exception. I'm assuming that the lights are AH Supply light kits, mounted in a DIY enclosure. Two 55 watt AH Supply lights will be excessive lighting for that tank as a planted tank.

I have used that much light on a similar size tank, with good pressurized CO2 system, and had an algae farm. I had to raise the light several inches above the tank and run only one bulb to get things back in control. Of course only one bulb doesn't do a great job of covering the whole length of the tank, but raising the fixture helped out a lot in that regards. It doesn't make much difference what color temperature bulbs you use. You can grow plants with all of the bulbs, but you will find that you enjoy the appearance of the tank more with one temperature bulb, so that is what you should use. Right now I really like the 10,000K bulb I have on one of my tanks, but I also liked the GE9325K bulbs I have used. Others here have other preferences.

Having an open top tank, with the light fixture hanging a few inches above the tank is, in my opinion, the best way to light a tank. It makes it so easy for you to reach in the tank and pick up debris, do minor pruning of plants, "fluff" the plants, and just stay involved with what is going on in the tank. Also, it makes the light intensity in the tank much more uniform all over the tank. You do have to keep up with water evaporation that way, but the evaporation also serves to keep the water cooler in the summer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.