The Planted Tank Forum banner

Newbie plant question.

801 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Hoppy 
#1 ·
I recently put together a 20 gallon planted tank want to make sure I'm doing things properly and heading in the right direction. As of now I have java moss, java ferns, amazon swords, and riccia moss and may add some more later. I have a Nova extreme 24" 2x24w t5 fixture and a cheap nutrafin co2 system on the tank. I am supplementing with seachem flourish excel and kent pro plant every other day. Right now I'm using a side mount power filter and 100w heater. I'm using a plant ready substrate which I can't remember the name of. Am I missing anything or could I be doing something more or different? So far everything seems to be doing well. I've been doing alot of reading on this forum and it has been an excellent place to learn. I have 6 celestial pearl danios in the tank now. Thanks for any advice.

Chris

#2 ·
You have a lot more light than those particular plants need, and you aren't dosing the NPK nutrients that the plants have to have to grow. N usually comes from nitrates for aquariums, P comes from phosphates, and K usually comes from the KNO3 we use for nitrates. I'm not familiar with Kent Pro Plant, but I assume it is a trace element mix only.

#3 ·
With the amount of light you have, I would make sure that your DIY CO2 is maintained at a steady rate. In addition, you mentioned dosing Kent Pro Plant (which I assume is a micronutrient mix). Again, with the lighting you have, dosing macronutrients is a must.

#4 ·
Thanks for the reply guys. The kent proplant contains nitrogen, magnesium, and micronutrients. I know my lights might be a little overkill now but I will be adding a few other plants soon. Just have to decide which ones. I will make sure to get high light plants. How often should I be dosing? I will also look for the other nutrient supplements you suggested. Thanks,

Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.