The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok..this is my first planted tank...be gentle. This is a 46g bowfront that I just set up. The substrate is Tahitian moon sand with eco-complete on top. Light is the Coralife T5NO 2x21 watt freshwater fixture. No CO2 yet. Will possibly to DIY or Excel.

I'm wondering if I put the plants in an ok spot..or if I should move some around.

I placed the java fern in a hole in the driftwood on the left. I've just kind of stuffed the java moss here and there in different holes. Should I thin out the big clumps and do the cotton thread method? The crypt in the back is still mad. It has perked up some, though it looks leggy. In the middle I have some hygro angustofolia and 2 anubias. I found a perfect hole in that driftwood for it. The other is still in a pot. In the back right...I forgot what the tall grassy one is. To the right of that is a mystery sword. Can someone ID that for me please. I lost the name of the one in front of the driftwood.

Anyway, I would love scaping ideas and plant suggestions to fill in. I can still move things around now as well. I'd rather get things set and let them grow rather than moving 100 times.

Full tank

Right side:

Middle:

Full tank again:

·
Registered
567 Posts
I like what you've got so far. You could get some easy to grow stem plants to fill in the holes quickly. Or if you want to stick with the 'grassy' look of the plants you have, maybe some crypt. spiralis or some kind of valisneria?

Your sword is a 'Melon' sword, Echinodorus osiris. I's a nice easy one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What exactly are some easy to grow stem plants? I really love the look of the corkscrew val. Other than that I actually prefer the broader leafed plants like that sword and anubias. Something with some color, pattern, texture would be great too. So far the placement is ok?

Love your little lamb..I'm also a knitter. ;)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Use cotton thread, fishing line or hair nets on the moss.

You may want to consider moving that foreward chunk of driftwood more to one side of the tank or other; it's a bit on the central side of things.

Nice layout for a first time around, you've got sensible plants and lighting too. You won't get in over your head on this tank too fast, but it should look good once it's grown in.

Personally I wouldn't add more species of plant; I'd get more of the same or wait for things to grow in. At most consider a beginner foreground, and remove a larger species of plant or two once things fill in and you're able to make some decisions about appearance.

Don't forget fertilizers; this tank is probably going to need some NPK and micros despite being on the lower side of things for light.

-Philosophos

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TY Philo...excellent advice. I will move that driftwood over a bit. If I stick to similar species, I think I'll get some more of the melon sword. Should I move that over to the left side near the intake? I could do a little sword forest. And yes, I will certainly start ferts asap. Gotta do more reading!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I glazed over the H. angustifolia and just thought it was a crypt (didn't look closely enough). I'd move it to the back left since it will get tall, and then place the sword in front of your large crypt.

-Philosophos

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok..I made the changes you suggested today and a couple of things look a bit strange. The tall swords (I got a second one) are about the same height as the tall crypt. That puts the tall sword in the mid-ground. Is that ok? Also, the leaves on the crypt are still a bit sad. Can I trim those off, or should I just let them be. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
206 Posts
You've got a choice to make then. Either the crypt or sword has to go, or you'll have to try to squeeze the two side by side in some way. In my opinion, one of those two or the angustifolia should go in exchange for a midground plant.

You could try keeping the crypt or the sword short through trimming instead.

Definitely trim dieing crypt leaves; chop them off at the base. Don't feel too bad about it either; I've had crypts regrow from losing all of their leaves in the case of larger ones.

-Philosophos

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can you recommend a good low-light midground plant? I think I'll let everything just be for awhile and see what does best in these conditions. Then later remove one of the tall background species. Thanks!

·
Registered
987 Posts
I would definately thin out the moss a bit and distribute it more. Mexican Oak leaf is an extremely easy stem plant that thrives in my tank. Throw in some wistera to; its easy to find and grow.

Overall, looks nice!
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
567 Posts
What exactly are some easy to grow stem plants? I really love the look of the corkscrew val. Other than that I actually prefer the broader leafed plants like that sword and anubias. Something with some color, pattern, texture would be great too. So far the placement is ok?

Love your little lamb..I'm also a knitter. ;)
Hahaha he's actually a goat. He did look like a lamb until he grew horns! I've got a friend with some sheep that she used to shear and make yarn from; she's gotten too lazy to bother with it now so I may ask her if I can shear them and make some yarn. I don't knit, but I crochet and weave.

As far as stems, ludwigia repens and sunset hygro are both easy ones with some nice color.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Can you recommend a good low-light midground plant? I think I'll let everything just be for awhile and see what does best in these conditions. Then later remove one of the tall background species. Thanks!
Echinodorous tenellus has grown obscenely fast and easy for me. Many crypts stay small; you can even get that big one you have right now to stay short. Dwarf sag (S. subulata) is another easy one, though I've found it does poorly in acidic water. I've seen dwarf hair grass (Eleocharis acicularis) thrive in some unlikely conditions. Hemianthus micranthemoides can be very easy to grow, but some work to keep clean/untangled. The list goes on, but those are some of the more common easy to keep types of mid and tallish foreground plants.

-Philosophos

1 - 12 of 12 Posts