The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:help:Hi there. I was hoping someone could help me out. I have a 48" x 24" solid oak canopy for my 150 gallon-tall tank. I've got a hinged glass lid on top of the tank now, and my oak canopy just came in. There's 9" of space between the top of the wood and the surface of the glass top, and I need help installing the lighting. What's the best way to go? I'm new to lighting and not much of a DIY'er. I was looking at the 8-bulb T5 Tek lighting fixture. Should I get the whole fixture with mounting legs and place the wood canopy over that, or would it get too hot under there? Any ideas would be a real help.

·
Registered
247 Posts
how about you get the fixture and just hang it inside of the canopy.
just install it like you would to the roof of a room but instead it would be hanging inside of the hood.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great idea! So I just get the ceiling hanging kit then. How much should I suspend the light fixture above the tank? I've got 9" to work with.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
IMO with that much light you can hang it pretty much anywhere. I have my AH supply kits lights mounted with 1" spacers into the top of canopy. This way there is some air circulation.

I would just mount them high enough so that I could work in the tank without moving the canopy or lights. . :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Just a reminder, Sunlight Supply does NOT recommend putting a canopy over their fixtures. They run incredibly efficient, but since they don't have fans, I wouldn't recommend that either.

Also, on a tank that large, I have a feeling the 6 bulb fixture would be adequate.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:icon_mrgr Thanks guys for all your help. I've also been looking at the Nova Extreme lighting; they do have fans, but I've read that they're noisy. That won't really bother me, though, with a canopy over them they might be a little quieter.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
i have a 110g with solid oak wood canopy , what i did was got a real good pice of 1/4in ply wood cut about 1/2 of all corners ,i then painted it all white on one side , i then install 3 ballasts on the back side [not painted] then i stager 6 t5 ho's with refectors [2 for each ballasts] , i then mark off were each stand offs with lights and reflectors are ,and screw them down [painted side of plywood] i then drill small holes next to each stand offs and ran the wires to the ballasts , then install all the power cords to the ballasts and mounted the whole thing the inside of my canopy , i never got around to install the fans but it's a good idea and the hole thing looks good :smile:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts