The Planted Tank Forum banner

Newbie looking for white ring of death confirmation

1200 Views 8 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  LidijaPN
Hello!

As stated, I'm a newbie to shrimp. We have a seasoned, planted paludarium tank that we finally felt was ready to add shrimp after supporting two snails and a few black neon tetras for a little over a month. We purchased the cherry shrimp a few days ago, and I know the tank parameters at the store were different than our paludarium tank. Water there was pH 8.2 with high KH, ours is pH 7.0 with KH of 3. I had worried over the differences but was told the shrimp were younger and that so long as I slow dripped, and fed with a high calcium food they should be fine. I followed instructions and all seemed well until this evening. That's when the image below occurred. I have tested the tank and my parameters have not changed, and the other shrimp seem fine (active swimming and such). Is this the dreaded white ring of death I've heard about, and is this likely from the stress of being added to our tank? Is there something else I should be looking into that may be more of a problem than I was told, or that I may be unaware of? Or is this just a normal molt, and I'm just a newbie that is worrying too much and I need to give this shrimp another couple of hours?

Thanks!
Underwater Terrestrial plant Marine biology Marine invertebrates Fish
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
I鈥檓 afraid it does look like a mismolt 馃槗 they鈥檙e very quick with it when it works right.

What is your gh? From what I understand of shrimp, they don鈥檛 care so much about kh... but gh (calcium and magnesium) is important.

However, a shrimp wouldn鈥檛 mismolt in your water because of low minerals immediately... sometimes they do a stress-molt after a move but if he had enough minerals where he came from he wouldn鈥檛 have mismolted I think...

Then again sometimes it just happens.

Young shrimp should adapt, and if your gh is low you can bring it up with mineral salts. Mine is around 6 dgh or just under and everyone molts fine, I give them blanched organic spinach for calcium.

Registered
Leftover food is best avoided for sure, but I don鈥檛 think it would cause the mismolt either... And your gh is pretty much ideal.

The sad truth of the hobby is that animals often come to us stressed and in pretty poor condition, and the whole ordeal of traveling and changing water is a lot for them. So you will often lose a few just to that.

If everyone else is looking healthy, I wouldn鈥檛 fret too much... if you start having issues with your other guys come back and we鈥檒l brainstorm. Also if you just search 鈥榗herry shrimp鈥 or 鈥榗herry shrimp mismolt鈥 on the forum you will find a treasure trove of all sorts of info and experience.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.