The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I am new to this form and also fairly new to planted aquariums. I've been reading several threads here and finally joined!

First, I think I found some great lighting deals on eBay for those looking for bargains. (Edit: Looks like the links got removed since this is my first post but the eBay seller id is topdogsellers and the shop is at (ebay domain)/usr/topdogsellers ) Take a look: [Ebay Link Removed]

I know the T5's have been proven to work, and from the little I've gathered so far about LEDs, it really depends on the setup. I got one of their quad T5 6500k lights for my 29 gallon and am very happy with it so far! $70 for a 30" (24" bulbs) with moon LEDs and a built in timer. Now I am looking into getting one for my 60 gallon (long). I saw they have the same T5 in a 48", but then realized they also have LEDs for nearly the same price. When I have looked elsewhere at recommendations, the prices for LEDs were out of my budget. How would something like these compare with the Quad T5 as far as effectiveness for a plant tank?

Evo LED
[Ebay Link Removed]

LED Pent
[Ebay Link Removed]

The 29 gallon will be my main growing tank and the 60 gallon has a severum that will tear up anything brittle so in that one I will start out with Java Fern and Large Amazon Swords (Moving the the swords back to the 29 to regrow when necessary). However, I would like to get something sufficient enough to grow higher light plants if I ever decide to experiment or get rid of the severum.

Very much appreciated for any advice and guidance!

P.S. - Looks like the links got removed since this is my first post but the eBay seller id is topdogsellers and the shop is at (ebay domain)/usr/topdogsellers

Hopefully admin will reactivate them upon review.

·
Banned
5,927 Posts
E-bay links are not allowed. PM a moderator for the reason.
You can use the name of the seller or his store.
I have an Odyssea T5 dual bulb fixture from him. I can tell you up front that you will need to remove two bulbs from that fixture on the 29g in
order to keep out algae until you get injected CO2 in there.
But go ahead and use all four so you won't think I am joking you.
If you split your lights-on period into two sections you can run the lights for enough time to view the tank when you get up and then return from work by having them come on at(roughly) 7 A.M. till 9 A.M. and then back on from 5 P.M. till 10 P.M.
Actually 7 hrs total may be too much/w two of those bulbs(not kidding)
and too much light is likely the premier mistake made by new-to-the planted tank crew people. Don't tell anyone but my two bulb T5 fixture from Odyssea is in the closet replaced by ONE T8 bulb. This dummy put
it on a 10g tank. So I know from exp that two T8 bulbs is actually the correct light for a 29g tank without injected CO2.
But while your still using the Odyssea if you want to be rid of that glair created by the cheap bulbs supplied/w the fixture...get two "Flora" bulb by True Lumen from Doctors Foster & Smith's(good prices on aquarium bulbs). You will not regret the purchase.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Raymond Thanks for the reply and advice! I actually have injected CO2. I used a plant grow CO2 system that came with a diffusion ladder, and have added a DIY 2 liter, sugar, and yeast into the mix also feeding onto the diffusion ladder. I'm sort of just experimenting right now trying to figure out what exactly I'm doing. The tank has been set up for about a month now and I used some biomedia and water from my 60 gal to get it going. I can tell the CO2 must be doing something because the tap water where I live is around 8 ph, but the 29 gallon is at around 6.6 and the 60 gal without CO2 is about 7.6.

After reading your reply, I get the feeling I still might be using too much light. Currently I am running at least 2 bulbs 12 hours a day and the other one kicks on for 7 hours the midpoint. So, 5 hours of 2 bulbs and 7 hours of 4 bulbs each day... No signs of algae YET, but its a new setup. The plants are doing well and growing a bit, but I would like to get it optimized to grow them as fast as possible with my setup. I am also using Flourite as my substrate and flourish as a additive. Any suggestions on fine tuning lighting or anything else would be greatly appreciated!

·
Banned
5,927 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.