The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have had reef tanks for the last 15 years, and now miss, and want a fresh water tank. I have a 29G aga tanks with a 2x65 watt PC fixture. I t of course has been used for reef tanks! It has an actinic, and a 10000k lamp. What lamps should I get for plants? ...and is this fixture ok for plants ? Too many watts? 130 watts over a 29? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'll be curious how my answer matches up with the experts, but I'm guessing you'd want to switch out the actinic with a 6500K bulb and would need to do CO2 and ferts with that much light, at least that's the basic info I got when I asked about the 40W I had on a 10gallon, you're just above 4W/Gal.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what little I've read, I thought it was allot of light! I should add that I want to have Angel fish in this tank, I will be adding drift wood or some other suitable wood, which will add tanins, thus darkening the water, and defusing the light some. Of course that is if it's an ok thing to do.

·
Registered
548 Posts
agree with miklb. What I would recommend is switch the actinic out. Then, Try to hang the fixture higher so less light would go through the tank. Of course, CO2 and ferts would be needed or else you would end up having a lot of algae in your tank.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll keep researching...I can see that this will be a new challenge...and I thought growing corals was a challenge! LoL ...Would eggcrate help much? make a top for the tank out of it. It would diffuse the light some

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Paulrw, I was wondering if that was a feasable option. With this option in mind would Co2 be neccesary? My plan is to set up an Amazonian river biotope, plants, driftwood, etc for Angel fish, and maybe a Cory catfish.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts