The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently got a used 75g tank--havent set it up or even cleaned it yet as I went broke buying it. I was thinking about rehoming my african cichlids over to this tank but not sure b/c I want a planted tank and they destroy them-at least mine do. I dont even have a light kit or filter,pump yet. I was thinking of using sand as substrate (pool filter sand) and I have heard that Eco complete would be good for plants. I have never seen this stuff so dont know if I should use both or just one. I would like to have low light plants as my budget is small. Any suggestions ? Do I need to give more info ? BTW--I have seen the planted tanks on this site and I must say they are all so beautiful !! Great job !! Any info would be greatly appreciated !!

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Welcome to TPT!

Yes, pool filter can work just fine, especially in low tech setups. If you can afford to upgrade to substrates such as Eco, Flourite, ADA, etc IMO they are worth the $$, but you can have success without them.

Soil Master Select, Turface, and Shultz Aquatic Soil are some alternatives that are cheaper than the commercial plant substrates but IMO a step "above" pool filter sand in that they will provide some nutrients to the plants.

If you want to stick with a low tech setup, you'll need to very carefully choose the lighting for the tank; you'll need lights that are strong enough to cover such a large and relatively deep tank, yet not so strong that you'd need to get into pressurized CO2...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts