The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
this gift was actually meant to end up at work, but i couldn't wait until after vacation to get it going :) as a result, i now have my first PLANTED TANK on my night stand (thanks to a very understanding wife)!!!! i am a bit nervous about doing something to harm these plants, so i am going to keep the standard LED setup on for ~8 hours/day and see how they react (i purchased them from my LFS, and they had been pretty well established in submerged setup).....here goes nothing!

as of 1/15/13

as of 12/28/12

started 12/27/12

·
Registered
786 Posts
congratulations on your gift & welcome to TPT! Don't we have wonderful spouses :smile:

Is that ADA aquasoil as the substrate? btw, did you know that you can divide up the dwarf hair grass and the hc into smaller plug sections and plant them all around the foreground? (I'm guessing that is what the two low plants are)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
congratulations on your gift & welcome to TPT! Don't we have wonderful spouses :smile:

Is that ADA aquasoil as the substrate? btw, did you know that you can divide up the dwarf hair grass and the hc into smaller plug sections and plant them all around the foreground? (I'm guessing that is what the two low plants are)
thanks for the welcome! i actually used the fluval shrimp substrate. after talking to the guy at the store, i was a bit unsure about cutting up the clumps (partially because i couldn't remember which he said would be most likely to remain healthy, lol)....i figured i could see how it grows for now, and then maybe transplant pieces here and there throughout the front once i am more confident with my skills! by the way, you were dead on with the IDs :smile:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, i know what i'll be doing tomorrow :biggrin: i just need to pick up some tweezers, and i'll get to work. THANK YOU!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
first, thanks again for the comments here. well, i picked up some tweezers and some scissors today :biggrin: as you can see below, i went to work right away - i tried my best to follow what i saw/read....now the nervous wait!!! oh, i also picked up some plain-jain flourish, and added 1/2mL. as for the lights, i am using the stock 21 led (7600K rating?!) for 8 hours. any comments/suggestions are welcome and appreciated!!!

*****and now, the current layout*****

·
Registered
786 Posts
Good job on preparing the planting plugs! You can separate them further apart, especially the hc. You might try planting around the base of the rock, then move outward in a grid... start where the light is most intense for the hc as it's appreciates high light. :smile:

I could see some dwarf hair grass coming up in the middle of the rock to the left too.

Nice start!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
gotcha! should i bother worrying about moving them so often, after just putting them in?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lol, well i guess i know what i'll be doing tomorrow morning ;) i am thinking ALL of the hair grass coming out of the center (from under the rock) and the hc all around the front of the rock (like the mouth on a smily face, haha). and of course, sliding the right rear over towards the center :smile:

ps-i am definitely a visual thinker, so actually seeing that hair grass in the center was awesome! i owe you big time for your help on this!!!

·
Registered
786 Posts
lol, well i guess i know what i'll be doing tomorrow morning ;) i am thinking ALL of the hair grass coming out of the center (from under the rock) and the hc all around the front of the rock (like the mouth on a smily face, haha). and of course, sliding the right rear over towards the center :smile:

ps-i am definitely a visual thinker, so actually seeing that hair grass in the center was awesome! i owe you big time for your help on this!!!

I'm a visual person too... glad it helped! I actually like the dhg on the left and just a bit in the center (it'll fill in) It'll create a nice balance :smile: Then allow the hc in front of the rocks and fill out towards the right. But, I think it could like nice either way you decide to go!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for asking :biggrin: as you can see, i made several changes....the dhg isn't doing so well?! no matter what, i cannot get all of it green :confused: the annubias and sag are thriving, and each have a couple new leaves! also, you may be able to see the fire red shrimp and blue rasbora

·
Registered
786 Posts
thanks for asking :biggrin: as you can see, i made several changes....the dhg isn't doing so well?! no matter what, i cannot get all of it green :confused: the annubias and sag are thriving, and each have a couple new leaves! also, you may be able to see the fire red shrimp and blue rasbora

Looks nice! I see the shrimpers! Nice addition :smile: The dhg usually melts a bit at first, but mine came in strong after the second cut back. Then it took off and is a weekly job keeping it in check.

Hmmm, don't see the rasbora... do they happen to be the rasbora erythromicron? I have five of those in my nano. They are the shyest fish ever!~

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.