The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm basically a newbie to live plants. I have a 46g bowfront tank with some low to medium light plants (a picture is attached). I picked up the tank from someone else, and the current lighting is (I believe) a Marineland 35" advanced LED strip. Unfortunately as you can see from the picture attached, it isn't in great shape. One of the lights is broken, and in general the light and the hood itself isn't in great shape. The tank is in a spot where it gets no natural light from windows. I'm looking to redo the top of the tank with the right combination of hood and lighting. I have a canister filter, so need appropriate openings for the hoses, etch (probably a stupid comment, but still). All recommendations are appreciated!

I got the tank, stand, etc for a very good price, and want to make sure I get the right light. I did some googling before asking for guidance, and it seems like the Fluval 3.0 and the Finnex APC are probably viewed as top options (allowing me to keep the current lid intact). If there is something different to consider, that's fine. If the consensus is "The Fluval is the best for your description" I won't shy away from it because it is significantly more expensive. If the Finnex or something is better for my use (or just as good) and lots less, then that would be great too.

PS We tried a few ways to get the picture of the light and what I posted was the best I could get.... Apologies.

Attachments

·
Registered
600 Posts
I used to have a 46 bow, they are a bit challenging to light due to their depth. On mine I used a Finnex Ray 2 DS and it worked well but might be a bit strong with out CO2. I don't think these fixtures are being made anymore but you could look for it used or something with similar specs. Just be aware that the Ray 2 is a white only fixture so it washes colors out a bit.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.