The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.. I have been trying my best to research what I need to create a great planted/fish FW setup for a few days now. One thing I'm confused on is lights needed and hoping someone can help a total newbie like me.
My specs:
Size: 30"L, 15W, 21H
Capacity: 36 gal
Shape: Bow front
Current light that came with the kit - fluorescent 17 watt striplight, lamp size 24" hood legnth 30"

What I plan:
Medium light plants or lower, the banana plant right now is pretty interesting to me
DIY Co2 injection/dispersion

Questions:
Can I use my current hood/top that came with the kit or do I need to buy a new one? Like would I be able to fit a 80 watt T5 in there and is that the kind of light I should be thinking about getting?

Does the bow front shape impact plants growing at the front of the tank if they do not get direct exposure from above? The smallish strip that the tank hood the kit comes with is a concern...

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
You will want to upgrade the light. There is many to choose from that will fit your tank. Only problem I've had with bow front is taking pictures, other then that they are nice. Good luck, show pictures :)

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Use the search feature to look for what others have already done with bow front lighting. I'd point the way, but I'm being lazy on my days off. ;-)

Typically they have cut away all the excess plastic in the top and added a two tube T5 retro fit kit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.