The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear shrimp masters,

I recently picked up some S-SSS CRS juveniles from theshrimptank for my 3 gallon nano tank. It's my first time trying these shrimp and I've done the research, hoping for long term success. However, since I haven't kept them before, I'm not exactly sure what to expect in the first couple days of receiving them and if I should be worried if their behavior seems abnormal. Some feedback would be appreciated. First, the stats.

Ammonia - I want to say 0. I've tested with API test kit and it's definitely super close to the yellow, but I almost feel like I can see the faintest tint of green when I compared it to tests with drinking water.
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0
KH - 0-1
GH - 5
PH - 6.4
TDS - 170
Temp - 68 F
Filtration - Mini HOB filter

The tank is using Aquasoil. I've started cycling it about a month ago with tap water, which in the bay area is super soft. I am getting some DI tonight for future water changes. I had originally added DIY CO2 to boost plant growth as much as possible. The tank has lots of moss, some crypts, java fern, and anubias. Lights run 10 hrs a day. Since adding the CRS, I stopped the CO2.

I drip acclimated the shrimps for 45 mins with airline tube and a knot. Old water to new water ratio became 1:2 by end of drip acclimation.

1) Could stopping the CO2 cause a potential rise in ammonia since the plants would be consuming less? Hench the tinge of green? With CO2, PH may drop to 6.0 or 6.2. Of course, I could use a less aggressive mix of DIY CO2.

2) Are the CRS less active around 68F?

3) Their behavior when the lights are on seems to involve swimming around a lot, landing, maybe idling a little/picking at stuff, and then swimming around more. They don't seem to walk around that much... Is this a bad sign?

4) How long does it take them to get comfortable to the new home? I've had them for 36 hrs so far.

5) Most importantly, should I be freaking out right now?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
597 Posts
I know mine rarely seem to swim,.. They walk and forage most of the day, and only swim when they come to the end of a leaf that they feel the need to jump off. They will also swim or jump if scared.

They seem to get comfortable enough for me to be walking around and foraging in an hour or so.

Do you have any fish in the tank?

I've never kept them that cold because I don't have a chiller, my tanks stay at 75 and it takes a fan to keep them there. If I were you I might go with 72 temp - the recommended is 21-23 or about 70 - 74.

Other than that the perams look okay,.. I doubt they would have lasted this long if the Ammonia was high.

Whiskey

Your perams look good

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
shrimp dont tend to swim around like crazy unless scared, chased, or female just molted. it can take a couple weeks before they are comfortable in the new tank. think about a time when you have moved it takes a bit to get used to their new home. lower light can ease stress.

·
Registered
219 Posts
So, there are only 2 possibilities for this. As pointed out, shrimp only swim for certain causes.
If they are adult and you have researched sexing them...keep an eye out for an adult female usually high in the tank waving her swimmerettes. She is fanning her hormone into the water.
IF the shrimp both male and female are swimming around it usually means a water quality issue. Which is obviously bad. Do not change the temp. 68 is perfect.
The first thing I would do if I were you is observe the shrimp swimming around...see if you can identify males...any females??
See if there are one or two shrimp not swimming around...these would be other females not being affected by the mating hormone.
Lastly see if you observe any of the males landing on other shrimp and then being "flicked" off...this shows males are on the prowl to mate

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have no fish in the tank.

These shrimps are very small, so I'm thinking they aren't near sexual maturity. There is one large one that seems to resemble the shape of a female (curved bottom of the tail). She swims around too. I would say the majority of them are swimming around the tank though.

I measured the params I have stated yesterday night. I was hoping it wouldn't be a water quality issue. I've been measuring everything, including copper (0 ppm) and they all seem optimal.

They seem more docile this morning, but not really foraging that much. Crossing my fingers, but I hope they are just getting used to the tank.

·
Registered
362 Posts
If they are swimming up then freezing, this is a bad sign. Right now to it sounds like they are unfamiliar with their territory. Keep the lights off for a day and let them explore a bit.
The only other thing possibly wrong is o2 levels. Most nano tanks have decent levels of o2, just something to be aware of

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Mine swim around like crazy after a water change and if I add eros. If food just entered the tank they are also more active. I would not worry too much after only a day in the tank. They are probably still checking it out.
My CRS are less active than my OEBTs. In the OEBT tank I see this behavior pretty frequently, yet they are doing ok and breeding. As long as they are picking at stuff and eating I would not be concerned. If they just sit in one spot and don't graze at all, then I get worried. But that is usually just one shrimp, not the entire tank.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They don't swim and freeze mid swim or rapidly jolt mid swim. They will swim up though, but usually end up swimming down or hanging on the side of the tank for a little while. None have lost their balance.

I was hoping that the HOB would aerate the water sufficiently as the water pours back into the tank. I will bust out an airstone.

I've got mixed feedback on the temperature. What do you guys normally keep your temps at?

Thanks for the reassurance. I think the consensus is to just take a chill pill and see how they turn out in a few days.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Agreed. With a hob I would think the o2 levels are fine. No worries there. The swimming does not apoear to be anything more than being startled

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If some of my CRS are not doing anything, should I be concerned? Of the ones I can see, some just sit there not moving much, while others are more proactively grazing. I suppose I'm trying to recreate that bustling shrimp tank experience that people have in their videos. Maybe they are shy since they are small and spread out over the tank?

Also, if my water was somehow bad (the only explanation I can think of is that I used soft tap instead of RO), they probably wouldn't have lasted this long right? It's been almost 5 days.

·
Registered
597 Posts
When mine find a piece of food they can pick up (Like the corner of a flake) they will sit perfectly still and gorge.

Other than that sometimes they sit still but when they do their feet are often scraping the leaves they are sitting on. But! I can only see about half at a time (unless something like feeding is happening) so maybe some are in the wood sleeping and they only come out into the light when they are hungry.

Hard to tell.
I wouldn't panic though.
Whiskey

1 - 15 of 15 Posts