The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know if im putting too much co2 in my tank it comes on 2hrs before the lights and the drop checker is green but after about 4 to 5 hrs of co2 the drop checker has turned more yellowish than greenish so I dont know if its too much the fish seem ok

·
Registered
60-P high tech, 45-P low tech
134 Posts
The drop checker tends to represent co2 levels in your tank 2 hours prior to when you view it, so there's an annoying delay in the reading. But that said, a lime yellow is basically the top end of the safe zone, forest green is what people shoot for (though judging between these colors seems to be different for everyone). I've had mine be full yellow a couple times without any harm to the fish, but when I saw that I decreased my levels. A really really clear way to tell if there's too much for the fish, is that they will all go to the surface like they're feeding but instead be literally gasping for air. That's only happened once to me because someone had hit the co2 gauge, but I luckily caught it in time and did a large water change and brought the co2 back down. Mine tends to get slightly more yellow-green towards the end of the day, and then comes back down after it shuts off. As your plants grow, you may find that it will turn less green anyways as they uptake more co2, and may need to increase it. But generally, as long as your co2 regulator is working well once you spend a couple weeks checking the color and dialing in the amount in small increments, you should be able to hit a balance where you don't really have to mess with it anymore.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.