The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have a 29 gallon tank (18" high) and want to have a carpet of dwarf hairgrass. I am pretty new to growing live plants in an aquarium. I bought a marineland 29 gallon kit from petsmart that comes with led lights. I have a few questions hopefully someone can help me before my head explodes.

1. I figured the led lights that came with my kit are too low powered to grow hairgrass (may be wrong???) so I considered buying a finnex ray 2 or finnex fugeray (i like the moonlight) with a glass top. Are any of these lights strong enough? Would I be extremely limited in what I can grow in the future?

2. I am also considering using Eco-complete as my substrate. Wondering if this would work?

3.Is Co2 required? I prefer not to use it.

Pretty overwhelmed with the info found on the web. Please help.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Welcome. A ray2 should be good for the hair grass. At 16" (with soil) it should provide about medium light. You can reduce intensity with egg crate or a semi opaque plastic if the light is too strong and u get algae. For carbon you can start with seachem excel. Plants need some source of it to grow. Ecocomplete is fine, there is also active flora which is similar but some ppl have seen better results.

What other plants are you considering-- for mid and backgrounds

Your at a good start but keep on reading.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome. A ray2 should be good for the hair grass. At 16" (with soil) it should provide about medium light. You can reduce intensity with egg crate or a semi opaque plastic if the light is too strong and u get algae. For carbon you can start with seachem excel. Plants need some source of it to grow. Ecocomplete is fine, there is also active flora which is similar but some ppl have seen better results.

What other plants are you considering-- for mid and backgrounds

Your at a good start but keep on reading.
Thanks for the help.I was also considering dwarf baby tear drops for a carpet. I'm debating between that and hair grass.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Definantly will have to do some more reading, good thing here is you will just have to read through this site. Ask as many questions and use the search tool in the forum, it will save you the headaches that happen in the beginning. Make sure you know how to do a fishless cycle and DO NOT get fish if your cycling. Take your time and learn about the plants and set-up your tank and get your plants going. Start with easy plants and work your way up from there if they do good.

Another great tip of advice is to have some patience and keep your hands out of the tank! Know what you want to do if you see a problem don't use the shotgun approach and jump into something. Youll spend more money than required and will get discouraged. Just letting you know the stuff we all have done before, Good luck!

Xev11 just noticed we have the same amount of posts and are from New York!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think you'll definitely need more light than the LEDs and while you might not *need* CO2 it'll really help the hair grass grow. I just added a DIY system to my tank that cost about $20 and it's making a huge difference.

My hair grass had some algae problems before I added the CO2 and now it's much cleaner and richer looking. I followed this guide for the CO2.

I also found it's much easier to plant it using tweezers instead of your fingers.

Good luck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think you'll definitely need more light than the LEDs and while you might not *need* CO2 it'll really help the hair grass grow. I just added a DIY system to my tank that cost about $20 and it's making a huge difference.

My hair grass had some algae problems before I added the CO2 and now it's much cleaner and richer looking. I followed this guide for the CO2.

I also found it's much easier to plant it using tweezers instead of your fingers.

Good luck!
So you don't think I can grow dwarf hair grass with a ray 2?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I have a 29g, check the link in my sig

i've been able to get great growth with my dhg using diy co2 and a dual T5HO aquaticlife light bar. Don't plant them deep, give it lots of flow and root tabs. Mine will start to turn brown in a day if I move the light bar towards the back of the tank. It likes direct light.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts