The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a few questions about a low tech setup. First off I have a 125 gallon set up with 6 albino discus. It has a sand bottom which is about 2 inches. The lights run about 1 watt per gallon. I will be adding driftwood into this tank. It does have a few plants in it now. I plan on keeping open areas for the discus. I do plan on adding rams, rummynose tetras, and bushynose pleco's. My questions are:
1) can I keep the sand, my discus pick all day on it for leftover food.
2) what are the best low light plants to put in this tank.
3) what plants are best for attaching to driftwood.
4) should I add fert tabs under roots or add to water column.
These are just a few for now. I am sure there will be more to follow.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
If you throw in a bunch of driftood, you could easily plant all around the base of it with crypts (expect some melting, but they'll bounce back).
Anubias and microsoreum (java fern) would also be good choices, as they are low light plants, and can easily be attached to driftwood.

·
Registered
54 Posts
+1 for Cryptpcorynes. Anubias & Java Fern are very undemanding low-light plants. I have to use weights/rocks to keep them in place, but it is easy to attach their rhizomes to driftwood with some string. Crypts, on the other hand, have a deep root system and are virtually kill-proof. They come in just about every size and quickly grow into lush, leafy bushes. I use Turface in all of my tanks, so I don't know about your sand but I suspect you'll have to routinely add ferts. Also if you do go with Crypts, you'll probably have to add some depth to your substrate (add another 1 or 2 inches) because their roots go far and deep.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
1) can I keep the sand, my discus pick all day on it for leftover food.
Yes, though you might consider an area of plant substrate in the back or in one corner of the tank, as many plants will grow better in plant substrate.

2) what are the best low light plants to put in this tank.
Depends largely on your lighting. You just say 1 wpg- but 1 wpg of what type of lighting? Do you have a CF, T8, T12, T5NO, or T5HO fixture?

3) what plants are best for attaching to driftwood.
Java ferns & Anubias

4) should I add fert tabs under roots or add to water column.
Depends on what plants you choose. You could do both. But you probably don't need many ferts at all with your low lighting. I'd probably just put root tabs under Crypts & Swords and call it a day, personally.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The lights are t12 but I will be adding another strip to the tank. I plan on building a custom canopy for this tank to match the stand so I will at that time plan on more permanent lighting system. I want to thank everyone for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.