The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had my 10 gallon Betta take set up for almost 2 months now and I've noticed this white fungus/algae growing off my plants for the past 2 weeks. I got as much as I could out with my weekly water change but it has come back strong. Anyone know what type it is or how to treat it? Searched the web and couldn't find much. Lights are on for about 6.5 hours a day. Also having diatom issues that are covering the plants
Plant Light Leaf Natural environment Botany
Plant Water Botany Flower Terrestrial plant
my
Plant Water Window Terrestrial plant Organism

·
Registered
158 Posts
Looks to me similar to a fungus I get on most of my tanks, I showed my aquarium shop and they said not to worry and that it’s completely harmless, if you want to remove it I usually just brush it with a toothbrush whilst vacuuming for my weekly water change.

Not sure if it’s correct but I got told it’ll grow on driftwood often due to the acidity levels, not sure on the actual cause at all though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These plants don’t look too happy? Are you using a substrate that can feed them?
Using BDBS with root tabs. Also dosing the water with leaf zone. This is my first attempt at a planted tank so I'm still trying to figure things out. The leaves appear brown from the diatom issues.

·
Registered
54 Posts
this is extremely common on new planted tank setups. Based on your feedback of saying you reduced the duration of light, that is the best low hanging fruit to try first. Supplement that with manually removing it by hand once or twice. You want to look at something that will consume the same resources that the algae would consume. Some may try a couple Marimo Moss Balls. Many may add in some Otos. Some use Algae Removal chemicals. If your tank were a bit more established you could also later try Amano Shrimp but research a bit more about shrimp before getting them. My algae problem went away after reducing light duration. The problem went away after a little time. I also added CO2 injection and have not had an algae problem as well. Basically over time as the tank became more established in conjunction with CO2 injection, my Taiwan Moss setup as carpeting, my Java Ferns flourishing, Red Crypt doing well, and Anuibas also doing fine. I have (6) Otos that help to keep the glass clean. Early on, I did not have success with Amano shrimp but looking back I think I introduced them too early on. Looking at my more established 30 gallon planted tank now, I feel Amano shrimp would most likely do better if I were so inclined.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
this is extremely common on new planted tank setups. Based on your feedback of saying you reduced the duration of light, that is the best low hanging fruit to try first. Supplement that with manually removing it by hand once or twice. You want to look at something that will consume the same resources that the algae would consume. Some may try a couple Marimo Moss Balls. Many may add in some Otos. Some use Algae Removal chemicals. If your tank were a bit more established you could also later try Amano Shrimp but research a bit more about shrimp before getting them. My algae problem went away after reducing light duration. The problem went away after a little time. I also added CO2 injection and have not had an algae problem as well. Basically over time as the tank became more established in conjunction with CO2 injection, my Taiwan Moss setup as carpeting, my Java Ferns flourishing, Red Crypt doing well, and Anuibas also doing fine. I have (6) Otos that help to keep the glass clean. Early on, I did not have success with Amano shrimp but looking back I think I introduced them too early on. Looking at my more established 30 gallon planted tank now, I feel Amano shrimp would most likely do better if I were so inclined.
Great advice thank you. Should I ease up on dosing the water column? Been using leaf zone once a week after the water change. Wasn't sure if this was an algae or fungus problem. I do plan on adding more plants as well

1 - 7 of 7 Posts