The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before you start thinking that I didn't read, my question here came to me as read. I bought a whole planted high tech setup from someone local to me. Fish/shrimp included.

Im using the same syrui stone, the same type of substrate, the same light, the same filter, CO2,,, I mean EVERYTHING!!! Our water even comes from the same plant.

Because of this I feel like all the livestock should be ok and thrive as they had for him. From what I have read, shrimp need more oxygen and softer water. I inject CO2 and I have syrui stone. So Im getting less oxygen and harder water in my tank. Although, I do run a bubbler for the 17 hours that my CO2 isnt running.

In your opinion and your experience, should I be ok here?

Amano Shrimp
75 Gal
Ph is 6.6 with CO2 and it is 7.4 degassed
Ammonia 0
nitrate 0
nitrate 10-20 generally.
KH 120
GH 280

Fairly heavily planted although plants are not established yet.
Water Plant Rectangle Pet supply Aquatic plant

Reptile Wood Organism Trunk Scaled reptile

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Amano shrimp are pretty hardy and do not need soft water the way some species of shrimp (like crystal shrimp). They actually live in a combination of fresh and brackish water in nature. So, yeah I expect your shrimp to be just fine.
Thank you! I wish I could see them more often. I know they are great at hiding, but I'm always in question of their well being. Nature of the hobby I suppose. Thank you!

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Thank you! I wish I could see them more often. I know they are great at hiding, but I'm always in question of their well being. Nature of the hobby I suppose. Thank you!
Yep, agree with @minorhero on both the hardiness and the need for soft water. I've actually been keeping amanos in a tank with Seiryu stone for years now where the KH goes up to 16 before water changes. Get some algae wafers, mine always come out of hiding for those.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, agree with @minorhero on both the hardiness and the need for soft water. I've actually been keeping amanos in a tank with Seiryu stone for years now where the KH goes up to 16 before water changes. Get some algae wafers, mine always come out of hiding for those.
I have some. I put one in the other day for my plecos who didn't seem to care. A few days later and the wafer pieces are still there. But I've been overfeeding a bit while I try to figure it out. So they have had plenty of food laying around.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I have some. I put one in the other day for my plecos who didn't seem to care. A few days later and the wafer pieces are still there. But I've been overfeeding a bit while I try to figure it out. So they have had plenty of food laying around.
Well if your concern is if they are there you can gently pick up a few of the rocks, they're sure to be hiding between/behind them. If they did die, you might never see them since shrimp will devour dead shrimp.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well if your concern is if they are there you can gently pick up a few of the rocks, they're sure to be hiding between/behind them. If they did die, you might never see them since shrimp will devour dead shrimp.
That's true. I'm not touching these rocks until I switch them out. Are there any more vibrant looking shrimp that are Hardy like the amanos?

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
That's true. I'm not touching these rocks until I switch them out. Are there any more vibrant looking shrimp that are Hardy like the amanos?
RCS (Red Cherry Shrimp) are hardy as well and live in a variety of parameters. I've had a breeding colony for a long time in the tank with the Amanos i as I mentioned KH up to 16 without issue. Water Quality via growing plants and/or water changes is far more important.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RCS (Red Cherry Shrimp) are hardy as well and live in a variety of parameters. I've had a breeding colony for a long time in the tank with the Amanos i as I mentioned KH up to 16 without issue. Water Quality via growing plants and/or water changes is far more important.
Thank you. I was hoping to get some color crawling around.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One other thing, whenever you acclimate new fish/shrimp it's always a good idea to turn off the co2. You don't want them going from minimal co2 right into a fully enriched tank. Let it come back on the next day and gradually build up.
That makes sense. Ill keep that in mind.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Amanos can live in water from anything that's like rainwater (extremely soft, hardly any minerals) to full on saltwater.... well, more specifically, the adults can do soft freshwater to brackish (1/2 saltwater) and the offspring in saltwater.

I would personally recommend Tigers over Neos... they're a little more hardy in my own experience. There's tangerines, blues, supers... perhaps even Yellow King Kongs. (tiger hybrid)

If you want stable water parameters though, I would recommend either doing more frequent water changes (KH and GH are a tad high) or removing the stone so it'll stop leaching minerals into the water. If the water is too soft, then use minerals to get it to the desired levels. (around 8 GH [~145 ppm] is often recommended - although tigers and neos can handle higher GH levels)

Be sure you are using a liquid test kit for GH and KH. No need to convert to PPM.

That said, I would highly recommend a separate tank for any other shrimp species. Shrimp are going to hide a lot from fish and smaller shrimp make a great snack for the type of fish you have!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts