The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im getting water for my water changes from bathroom faucets, I believe we use well water for the water supply in the building. My question is that with the python water changer you instanteously change water out so it is safe for fish to swim in Chlorine water for a brief period of time before adding the water treatment liquids? I dont want to hurt my mollies even though i have a horde of fry

·
Super Moderator
12,113 Posts
Are you sure your well water is chlorinated?

I assume your question is whether adding more dechlorinator to the tank and then adding tap water using the Python is "safe" for the fish (i.e. ideally the dechlorinator will neutralize the chlorine before it is in the tank, etc). I do this all the time, and it works for me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But since im using a python water changer directly from the tap source... how would i manage to add dechlorinator before it reaches the tank? I am assuming its Well but i have pulled water reports from the utilty department and it shows chlorine for city supplied.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
I put the dechlor in the tank right under where the water comes back in. It's ok. If I had more time and money, I'd do something different. I didn't used to use dechlor at all, and I had fish breeding like rabbits. I learned that from a breeder who didn't use any dechlor on his massive daily water changes. I don't think it's a good thing, just that the fish can survive it.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
You dose the tank before you start adding the water, as kid explained.

If you're using Prime, they have instructions for this- you dose the amount that you would to treat the entire volume of the tank, no matter how much water you're actually adding back in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.