The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hai, I’m Gerard, new on the forum.
I’m from the Netherlands ( Holland) and want to set up a black water Borneo biotope aquarium with Chilly rasbora in there.
I also would like some shrimp in there but still looking for the right species.

anyway, nice to meet you!!

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Welcome to TPT!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just to let you know what I’m up to;
Got my tank installed, now still with normal water, but will gradually add osmose water with the water changes until I have a 1:1 comparison.

What do you think of the design?
I’m not sur if I want to keep the rolled up bark, looks a bit unnatural.

I do have a question;
What kind of ( Borneo) scrimp to keep in this tank?
I want shrilly Rasboras, and they require a very low acid PH.

Sky Rectangle Natural landscape Orange Sunset

·
Super Moderator
16,083 Posts
I do have a question;
What kind of ( Borneo) scrimp to keep in this tank?
I want shrilly Rasboras, and they require a very low acid PH.
Since you're new to the hobby, it's probably a better idea to pick either fish or shrimp - not both. Because care for each are so different and they require different skillsets. Make it a fish tank or a shrimp tank. On top of care & needs, the fish you're interested can/will unfortunately pick at/harass even adult shrimp to the point of death. If you go with fish, maybe just 5-6 Amano shrimp would be something you could do. They'll be less likely to be harmed by fish. Though, any shrimp common in the hobby won't exactly be part of a Boraras brigittae biotope.

Keep the bark. It looks natural and will look even better once your tank is cycled in 4-6 weeks. (Do you plan to cycle the tank with an ammonia source?)

What's the volume of your tank? How many gallons/litres? Looks a bit small for fish. Looks about 40-50 litres? Boraras brigittae may be doable if everything is right for them.

What are your specific water parameters? pH? gH? kH? Parameters will determine what you're able to keep in the tank.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Since you're new to the hobby, it's probably a better idea to pick either fish or shrimp - not both. Because care for each are so different and they require different skillsets. Make it a fish tank or a shrimp tank. On top of care & needs, the fish you're interested can/will unfortunately pick at/harass even adult shrimp to the point of death. If you go with fish, maybe just 5-6 Amano shrimp would be something you could do. They'll be less likely to be harmed by fish. Though, any shrimp common in the hobby won't exactly be part of a Boraras brigittae biotope.

Keep the bark. It looks natural and will look even better once your tank is cycled in 4-6 weeks. (Do you plan to cycle the tank with an ammonia source?)

What's the volume of your tank? How many gallons/litres? Looks a bit small for fish. Looks about 40-50 litres? Boraras brigittae may be doable if everything is right for them.

What are your specific water parameters? pH? gH? kH? Parameters will determine what you're able to keep in the tank.
PH 4.0-7.0
KH 3-12
GH 1-2
Temp 25°C

I’ve read chilly rasbora are very peaceful to other fish

55 liter tank

·
Super Moderator
16,083 Posts
PH 4.0-7.0
KH 3-12
GH 1-2
Temp 25°C

I’ve read chilly rasbora are very peaceful to other fish

55 liter tank
55 litres is definitely large enough for Boraras brigittae. If it were me, I'd go with them. Maybe about 20.

Do you have specific parameters for your tank? Those are just ranges.

That gH is not suitable for keeping fish or shrimp. Are you sure you don't have kH and gH reversed?

Do you plan to cycle the tank with an ammonia source?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
55 litres is definitely large enough for Boraras brigittae. If it were me, I'd go with them. Maybe about 20.

That gH is not suitable for keeping fish or shrimp. Are you sure you don't have kH and gH reversed?

Yes, got ammonia ready

These are ranges yes.
That is all what the’ve come up with
And I have ammonia ready.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
@Gerard v B , so you aren't testing your aquarium water parameters yourself? If so, I highly recommend getting your own test kit, preferably the type that uses liquid reagents to test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, GH and KH. There are various brands on the market so what is available near you?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@Gerard v B , so you aren't testing your aquarium water parameters yourself? If so, I highly recommend getting your own test kit, preferably the type that uses liquid reagents to test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, GH and KH. There are various brands on the market so what is available near you?
Got it.
First need to build up filter bacteria

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Got it.
First need to build up filter bacteria
Well in order to know where your tank is in the cycling process you will need to test for ammonia in order to know how much ammonia to add to your tank, both the initial dose and any subsequent doses until you see nitrite and finally nitrate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts