The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an xp2 from petsmarts online store. It was working great for about 1 week then all of a sudden it it started to spit out larger air bubbles out of the spray bar. I checked to see for any water leakage, and I found none. I tightened the top of the priming fill point (where you pour the water to prime). Im pissed. I just got it and I went without filtration for 2 weeks. Furthermore I am not running co2 into canister nor is co2 being ran by the intake. Anyone have any experience with this issue?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are You using a prefilter sponge of any kind? I find a problem with this on the xP3s, but not the xP1 or 2 that I have.

Just a thought.....
Yes I am using a prefilter because I have baby endlers. I can see how this might be the cause. There are large air bubbles that build up on the prefilter(filter floss) that probably get sucked through and dont diffuse. This is possibilty.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Yes I am using a prefilter because I have baby endlers. I can see how this might be the cause. There are large air bubbles that build up on the prefilter(filter floss) that probably get sucked through and dont diffuse. This is possibilty.
I have 1x xP1 and 2. I haven't had any problems with the air and prefilter with those. I normally use these Filter Max prefilters. From what I can gather, it seems that the extra power/draw of the xP3 is bogged down by the prefilter and--I assume--causes air to "leak" in past the seal on the unit. There may be some other explanation, but that's the conclusion that I've reach over the last yr+.

That said, the prefilter on the xP3 on my 55g will clog enough to collapse in on itself and basically stop the flow--not 100%, but heavy duty!

I haven't had this problem on the 2 smaller ones, but was a thought to pass along. I just setup a 2nd xP3 and had the same air problems. I swapped out the prefilter for the xP strainer--and the problem went away....:cool:

I really like the Filter Max prefilters, but it seems that they are not really compatible with the xP3. They are interchangeable with the Hydor sponges, so I may try a larger size sponge.

Finally, I have them and I have not tried it, but I would assume that the coarse sponges for the Marineland reverse-flow powerhead setup would work better. They do a Good job. Clog fairly quickly and all--but I haven't tried them on the xPs. :proud:

HTH

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Yup, mine was doing the EXACT same thing when I had a sponge on the intake. I removed the sponge, no more air bubbles! No more baby shrimp, either. :(

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Ok here is what you do. When the filter is on, open one clip of the four and bleed the air out. You will then notice water to purge out and that is when you close the clip. That is how to get the air out. If you need help just pm me and I can walk you through it

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Ok here is what you do. When the filter is on, open one clip of the four and bleed the air out. You will then notice water to purge out and that is when you close the clip. That is how to get the air out. If you need help just pm me and I can walk you through it
Ummm, when I had this problem with air buildup, I always turned the filter OFF before purging the air. I guess I never tried with the filter ON, but if it works it works. :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
FWIW, that's what I do too. Although, it will work when the filter is off as well.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Yup, mine was doing the EXACT same thing when I had a sponge on the intake. I removed the sponge, no more air bubbles! No more baby shrimp, either. :(
Ry, were you just using one of those big black sponges which mount around the intake strainer (last part of the intake)? Because I use one of those on my Cherry tank without any air bubble issues. On an XP2 also and the sponge part is about 1.5 inches thick of sponge material circling the intake strainer.

I don't know if this really works, but one of the guys uses panty hose.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
My experience is that this then needs to be done daily......

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.