The Planted Tank Forum banner
1041 - 1060 of 1060 Posts

· Fresh Fish Freak
24,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,048 ·
Great tank, what's it currently stocked with?
I haven't tried to actually count anything in a long time, but there's about...

60x Cardinal tetras
15x Pristella tetras
12x Black morpho tetras

The rest is all "cleanup crew":
4x BN plecos (1 F LF albino, 1 F Calico, and 2 M Calico)
1x Clown pleco
5x Schwartzi cories
3x Albino cories
12x Amano shrimp
15x Otocinclus cats (O. affinis + O. viattus)
5x Zebra nerite snails
1.3 million and 2 Malaysian trumpet snails
+ assorted pond and ramshorn snails

My hubby and I are considering moving closer into town in the next 6 mos or so. If I have to break down this tank I'll consider some stocking changes...

The Cardinals, Amanos, Nerites, plecos, and Otos all would stay.

I may trade out all my Cories for a school of Panda cories instead, I think they'd show up better in the tank against the black background.

I'm considering getting dwarf cichlids again, too- either some more German rams or perhaps some Apistos.

And I may trade out the Pristellas for a school of top-dwelling fish, maybe some Blackwing hatchets? I'd have to gap-proof my covers, and I couldn't leave them open like I do much of the year to keep the tank cooler, though... So if I decide not to go with hatchets, I'll go with a different school of small tetras instead. A school of 50 or so Embers would probably look great mixed in with the Cardinals...

· I ♥ BBA!
12,772 Posts
You are thinking about moving after that awesome landscaping job? LOL, so is life. :) I vote for apistos over the rams. Everyone is getting rams now. :) I just got some emerald eye tetras from Zid. Have you thought about this awesome little fish? I'll have to take a video or something to show how cool they school.

By the way, your plants arrived in great condition!!! I just finished planting them, I cannot wait until they start to grow in. I am looking up how to care for them now. :)

· Fresh Fish Freak
24,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,050 ·
Yep, I knew just as soon as I'd gotten so much work done outside we'd move! LOL I guess it's a good thing I hadn't actually started digging out the pond yet.

I'm glad the Bacopa came to you in good shape! :thumbsup: I tried to give you lots of B. colorata since I know you like your pinks. Truth is, though, I have a hard time telling the B. caroliniana and the B. colorata apart. LOL

How I care for them... plant them and leave them alone till they get too tall and need to be hacked back. :D

· Fresh Fish Freak
24,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,051 ·
Well, the move is a go!

I have lots of mixed feelings about it all, but definitely the best side is that we'll be only 5 minutes from this:

The bad part is I've got 3 fully planted tanks to break down and try and get back together without losing fish or plants...

I'm probably going to do a major rescape on this tank.

· I ♥ BBA!
12,772 Posts
EEEEEEKKKKKKK! I am shocked you are tearing this down. But I suppose you'll have to for the move. :) I am seeing the difference between the too as they are adapting to the tank. When I got them I kind of left them floating in a bucket for a couple days. :hihi: They are now growing quite lovely and I had enough to share with another member already. It's a weed! Thanks again. :)

I love the view. I'll be down next summer. Do you like banana bread as a house warming present? ;)

· Fresh Fish Freak
24,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,054 ·
Amanda- That's Naples Beach. You can see the Naples Pier in that picture, but we'll actually be a few miles north of that so probably won't be able to see the pier from the beach closest to us.

We're just moving to the other side of town, so still in Naples. Right now we live out in the boonies, so we're renting out the house we own, and renting another house to improve our location. Will be much, much closer to work, restaraunts, shopping, grocery store, friends, beach, etc. (instead of an hour away like we are now).

Sara, Bacopa is TOTALLY a weed! lol Even in my low tech tanks I have to stay on top of trimming that one. It's super hardy though (not as bad about shedding leaves as many other stems), and easy to trim into a nice-looking bush. One of my favorite stems.

And you're welcome any time! I'm not a big banana bread fan (I don't like nuts in stuff), but my hubby loves it. We'll have a nice guest bedroom with an en suite waiting for ya! :proud:

· Fresh Fish Freak
24,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,056 ·
The breakdown has begun.

Yesterday I pulled the driftwood, African sword, and all the Bacopa so that I could catch all the Cories, Pristellas, and the Clown pleco to take to the LFS. Took over an hour, but I managed to catch all but one Cory (that I found tonight
).

The tank looks soooo empty and sad.

It will be about a month before I start putting it back together, though.

· Registered
4,289 Posts
Woah! I missed a lot! A MOVE! Crazy!!! I was wondering the same thing about the fish because I don't like doing it either :tongue:

Good luck with the move and the break down, can't wait to see how everything goes for you! We had to move with our tanks, i know we only had 2 and the largest was 60g, but I still feel your pain somewhat. :eek5: ;)

· Fresh Fish Freak
24,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,059 ·
Yeah, a little. I almost changed my mind about the Clown pleco after I got him to my LFS. I've had him a long, long time...

What's really killing me is all my tanks in such disarray and knowing how long it's going to be before I can get them back the way I want them... lol Right now all the Bacop and the big sword are just floating in my 46gal. I'll probably move them back over to the 90gal today. I'm considering selling all my plants and starting over from scratch with the 90...

I was actually dreaming last night about what tetras I'm going to get to replace the Pristellas. LOL

1041 - 1060 of 1060 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.