The Planted Tank Forum banner

New World 90gal Low Tech- a Pictoral Journey! 11/11- planned teardown!

122827 Views 1059 Replies 115 Participants Last post by  Karackle
Well, the time has FINALLY come, I start the final setup tonight, and hope to start planting by this weekend. I started working on this tank back in January, believe it or not- and it has become quite a project! This is going to be a VERY abbreviated pictoral journal- if you want to read through the whole thing, see the link in my Sig. There will be lots of posts at first to bring it all up to speed...

I started this with a $500 budget, and so Tank #1 was a major fixer-upper:

After some time, lots of elbow grease (involving vinegar, CLR and acetone), removing the background and refinishing the canopy and stand, I ended up with this:

Which I then promptly sold!!! Honestly, I only broke even on the deal, but I learned so much reasearching in the meantime that I was able to replace what I had with better equipment for about the same money.
21 - 40 of 1060 Posts

· Fresh Fish Freak
24,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
why don't you go for a HUGE school of corydoras hastatus? they are soooo small. Also, where do you find your pygmy hatchets? I could not find 'em online anywhere.
C. trilineatus is my personal favorite. I already have one, and I'm pretty sure he'd like some buddies! If it were a smaller tank I'd go with dwarf cories for sure, though- I really do like them!

I haven't located the dwarf hatchets yet, but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get my LFS to special-order them for me, if nothing else.

· Registered
36 Posts
Very nice. I can't wait to see this come together. I'm particularly interested in the black flourite and the black river gravel concept.

I have a couple of large swords (1 amazon and 1 Kleiner Bar) in my 75 today. I also have a couple of Pleco's (recent additions) in there too. Much to my dismay, they are eating my Amazon's leaves to transparency :icon_cry:. They don't seem to like the Kleiner Bar as much. I mention this because I notice that you are planning to add some pleco's to this tank.

btw. My pleco's are the Temmicki (sp?) variety. I'm really iffy on the spelling of that. I have it written down at home. I will say this though, unlike a common pleco, they are extremely active and are doing a great job on cleaning up what algae I have.

· Registered
450 Posts
I have a couple of large swords (1 amazon and 1 Kleiner Bar) in my 75 today. I also have a couple of Pleco's (recent additions) in there too. Much to my dismay, they are eating my Amazon's leaves to transparency :icon_cry:. They don't seem to like the Kleiner Bar as much. I mention this because I notice that you are planning to add some pleco's to this tank.
My two clown plecos don't do anything but hide out under the driftwood and come out only to munch on algae wafers.

· Fresh Fish Freak
24,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
SUBSTRATE WASHING DAY

Here's what $175 worth of substrate looks like, laying in the sun to dry:

In order of ease in rinsing

AquaPebbles 6 bags = 30lbs (black gravel on far right of main pic)

Fluorite Black (far left of main pic, 2 bags = 31lbs)

Fluorite black sand (2nd from left in main pic, 4 bags = 62lbs)

Colorquartz T grade, 2nd from right, 1 bag = 50lbs (I was surprised that this took the MOST rinsing!)

· Registered
3,895 Posts
Wuhstoff knives...my favorite.

Gawd, gravel rinsing is a pain....went with Eco-Complete to avoid that.
PShhht, when I make it big as a rapper, I'm gonna buy me some Global GS's. WITH RIMS.

Interesting substrate choices. If you don't mind me asking, what were the prices on these? I'm looking to mix or replace my SMS, since it weighs roughly as much as a pleco fart.

· Fresh Fish Freak
24,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I got the Fluorite all from my LSF for $20/bag (6 bags x 15.4 lbs/bag)
Colorquartz from local pool supply company $23 for 50lb bag
AquaPebbles on Ebay, $25 for 30lbs shipped

Approx. 175lb total and approx $1/lb

(No one had better say a THING to my hubby about my using "his" knives to open bags hehehehe)

ROFL @ "weighs about as much as a pleco fart"

· Registered
2,924 Posts
I got the Fluorite all from my LSF for $20/bag (6 bags x 15.4 lbs/bag)
Colorquartz from local pool supply company $23 for 50lb bag
AquaPebbles on Ebay, $25 for 30lbs shipped

Approx. 175lb total and approx $1/lb

(No one had better say a THING to my hubby about my using "his" knives to open bags hehehehe)

ROFL @ "weighs about as much as a pleco fart"
*How to get a hold of Laura Lees hubby*

Just kidding......at least you didnt use your moms good fork to digest a frog lol.

· Registered
1,329 Posts
So I am guessing this flourite black is becoming more common now? Do you happen to have any of the info on the product?

· Fresh Fish Freak
24,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Seachem still hasn't posted any, at least not that I'm aware of? I did read through a Seachem thread where they said that they should be posting "soon," and the substrates are "comparable" to the old Fluorite.

LOL @ James- so did your mom catch you?

21 - 40 of 1060 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.